Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Everyone should watch Guard Dog at least once in their lives.

Shrek

Still haven't lost its charm.

The Lion King (2019): Well, I was very impressed by the VFX. The animals, especially the lions and then especially Mufasa and adult Sima, look incredibly lifelike. The level of detail is simply astounding. However, I must admit this was not a very original take on the original film. Far from it, it was almost exactly the same with only a couple of longer scenes and like two new songs. That's it. Zimmer's music is still incredibly captivating and the story is of course good but I don't feel like they took any risks or did something new with the material other than the visuals. Favreau's The Jungle Book for instance, was a pretty good adaptation. This film constantly reminded me of the original film and what an impact that had on me and still has.
Not to forget to mention the voice actors: Glover was a great choice, getting James Earl Jones back must've been a no-brainer and tbh there's no other like him. He is Mufasa and it's so soothing to hear his voice. But damnit they really dropped the ball with not getting Irons back for Scar. Ejiofor's Scar is liveless. It's also a pity they didn't got Goldberg back for Shenzi. Rogen on the other hand, was pretty good as Pumba. He and Timon injected some well needed life into this film.

The Other Side of the Wind: This was such an interesting film. That they finished the film and that it finally sees the light of day after so many years on the shelf is amazing. Seeing Huston and a very young Bogdanovich is great. I liked the raw approach in both the films stories. It's contemplative and seems to contradict itself continuously but it actually makes the circle round. I love that Netflix made it available in HDR too btw. The different formats and the B&W and colour make for an interesting look.

Plein Soleil: Loved this. I think Delon is one of the greats and I really like the Tom Ripley story. The film feels so modern and the story flows so well. You're constantly on edge.
I loved the locations, this is a stunning looking film and the cast is ridiculously good looking. I really have to see more from Delon's work. I loved Le Samouraï and Eclypse and I've got Le Cercle Rouge ready. I still have to get around to watch Il Gattopardo.

Nomis wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Plein Soleil: Loved this. I think Delon is one of the greats and I really like the Tom Ripley story. The film feels so modern and the story flows so well. You're constantly on edge.
I loved the locations, this is a stunning looking film and the cast is ridiculously good looking. I really have to see more from Delon's work. I loved Le Samouraï and Eclypse and I've got Le Cercle Rouge ready. I still have to get around to watch Il Gattopardo.
Il Gattopardo is one of the greatest film ever made, but don't forget to watch Rocco e suoi fratelli also. It has one of my favorite scenes ever, one of the cruellest I've ever seen.
If you like Melville's noir, maybe try Henri Verneuil's films after. Mélodie en sous-sol and Le clan des siciliens both star Delon and Gabin, and they are both very good films.

i can also google the title in it's original language and post that but ya know what? i do not

Demoph wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 5:31 pm
Nomis wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Il Gattopardo is one of the greatest film ever made, but don't forget to watch Rocco e suoi fratelli also. It has one of my favorite scenes ever, one of the cruellest I've ever seen.
If you like Melville's noir, maybe try Henri Verneuil's films after. Mélodie en sous-sol and Le clan des siciliens both star Delon and Gabin, and they are both very good films.
Yeah I really like Melville's work. I'll add those to the ever growing list lol.
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 3:03 pm
i can also google the title in it's original language and post that but ya know what? i do not
We've talked about this before and like I explained then, most of the European films have their original title on the poster (and IMDb usually lists them as such too). For instance, when classics are brought back in theater they promote them in their original language. Especially when it's a Germanic or Latin language. I guess that's just the way these things work in The Netherlands ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I saw Alien for the first time ever in theaters and it was great! The film has been on my list of shame for a while and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.

Artemis wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:28 pm
So I saw Alien for the first time ever in theaters and it was great! The film has been on my list of shame for a while and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.
best movie about giving birth of all time

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:33 pm
Artemis wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:28 pm
best movie about giving birth of all time

-Vader
Very fitting because just today I was talking with a friend of mine about how I'm scared of getting pregnant because birthing looks like it suuuuucccccckkkkkkkssssss.

Glory (1989) - I have seen this movie many times, twice in one week when it came out in theaters, and it still gets me emotionally every time. Watched it in 4K and it is a great transfer for a catalog title. I still a little upset this didn't get more recognition for the more major awards at the Oscars but can't be mad at 3 wins for Sound, Cinematography and Best Supp. Actor. Well deserved.