Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Herzog's film is better. Sue me.£

Master Virgo wrote:Herzog's film is better. Sue me.£
Both are masterpieces. I enjoy Herzog's version more but this was definitely a very unique cinematic experience.

Can't wait for Eggers' take.

Allstar wrote:Can't wait for Eggers' take.
I keep forgetting he’s doing this, and every time I’m reminded I pee my pants a little

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)
Level of Admiration: (5.5/10)
Level of Personal Interest: (6/10)

DeHaan might look like a movie star but he's not one. It's all the worse for him, because Delevigne is a natural at that.£

same with cure for wellness no idea how he's landing these roles

Bridge of Spies
Hey it's pretty great. Not my favorite from Spielberg (but don't ask me what my favorite is though because my brain will shut down), but it's tense enough for me to not get distracted by breaks (yeah, I caught it on TV.. *shamegif*), and parts of this are so old school it's so cool. The opening scene is so cool. Tom Hanks is super cool, as always. Mark Rylance is the coolest though. Idk why I hadn't seen this earlier and especially when it was in theaters lol. I think some moments were a tad too Spielbergian for me, or was afraid they'd go down that route, but they mostly didn't, and I would've toned down with the soundtrack on a few instances - it's a bit too "fuck yea usa" drum marching sort of thing, which isn't the worst, but maybe was a missed opportunity for something better. Besides, I feel like with Spielberg trying to paint the opposing sides with a bit of ambiguity, it sort of clashed tonally? I may be wrong though lol. But yeah. I enjoyed it a ton, actually. Would totally rewatch this under better circumstances, something I'll probably do sooner or later.

Dunkirk-9/10

Wonder Woman-8.5/10
Wow, didn't know what to expect, it was really good. Gal Gadot and Chris Pine were really good as well- that chemistry between them.

Spider-Man: Homecoming-6.5/10
It was alright. Kinda lost Interest by the end of it

Bad Genius (2017)
Biggest Thai film of the year. I thoroughly enjoyed this, sooo much drama. A proper representation of Asian student pressures yo.

Killing of a Sacred Deer
This was absolutely bizarre. Ferrell, Kidman, and Keoghan were amazing here. My eyes were glued to the screen, especially thanks to the wonderful cinematography. This was way funnier than I thought it would be, especially the endgame (it felt terrible to laugh that much). The mix of dry black comedy and psychological thriller along the monotonous tone of the actors played well. Great film, I like it better than the Lobster.

mother!
Possibly one of the most ambitious and original movies I've ever seen. On a technical level, this is absolutely brilliant. Javier and Lawrence killed it, which is weird to say because I really do not like JLaw. Overall? Wow. What an experience.

Between this two, it's hard to pick which would be a better experience, but I might have to go with Sacred Deer. I think they will both end up in my Top 10 for the year