Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Okja

Parasite had me wondering what I had missed with Bong's filmography. I've heard his South Korean films are much better than his English language ones, but I thoroughly loved Snowpiercer. Had people tell me this was better, but I didn't think so. I liked it, but it was odd. The commentary felt significantly less polished than either of those two and some of the performances in this were....definitely a choice. The tone also was messy in a way I'm not used to Bong having issues with.

the host is where the party's at

Bacon wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 1:28 am
Okja

Parasite had me wondering what I had missed with Bong's filmography. I've heard his South Korean films are much better than his English language ones, but I thoroughly loved Snowpiercer. Had people tell me this was better, but I didn't think so. I liked it, but it was odd. The commentary felt significantly less polished than either of those two and some of the performances in this were....definitely a choice. The tone also was messy in a way I'm not used to Bong having issues with.
it is didactic to a fault and it's basically live action anime and all the jarring tonal shifts that go along with that

memories of murder is a masterpiece. mother is also amazing. the host, as keith says, is also terrific.

parasite and memories are his best imo. i like all of these waaay more than snowpiercer and okja.

-Vader

Tess. i guess its pretty but fuck this movie

the plot is legit tess gets raped and has a kid who dies then later marries a farmer who ends the relationship after she reveals she was raped

EDIT: oh my goddd and she ends up with the rapist this is miserable

EDIT 2: okay well at least she kills him but then goes back to the garbage farmer dude and then she's hanged ugh
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on November 22nd, 2019, 4:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

Vader182 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 3:16 am
Bacon wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 1:28 am
Okja

it is didactic to a fault and it's basically live action anime and all the jarring tonal shifts that go along with that

memories of murder is a masterpiece. mother is also amazing. the host, as keith says, is also terrific.

parasite and memories are his best imo. i like all of these waaay more than snowpiercer and okja.

-Vader
So I've heard. If Okja ends up being his worst, that's extremely impressive. I kind of want to wait for Memories when NEON rereleases it in theaters but idk if thats a gamble since it may not come here. Any easy way other than piracy to watch Mother/The Host?

they're often on netflix/prime, not sure if they are now.

-Vader

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 3:32 am
Tess. i guess its pretty but fuck this movie

the plot is legit tess gets raped and has a kid who dies then later marries a farmer who ends the relationship after she reveals she was raped

EDIT: oh my goddd and she ends up with the rapist this is miserable

EDIT 2: okay well at least she kills him but then goes back to the garbage farmer dude and then she's hanged ugh
I fucking love this film.

The Wailing

Wow. This is brilliant.

Durden wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 4:53 pm
The Wailing

Wow. This is brilliant.
glad you finally got to this. one of the best horror movies of the decade.

-VAder

The Bigamist

Finally getting around to more of the Ida Lupino films on Criterion.

I really enjoyed this one. The main character was pretty complex and forgiving even. I like how the situation wasn't presented in a black and white way.