Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
i pirated two versions, one of which had bad russian dubbing and a massive Sherlock advertisement that took up 30% of the screen with Cumberbatch's face bouncing back and forth

so clearly that is the version i watched
Michaelf2225 wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm
i knew nothing about it besides it featuring robert pattinson in space with a baby, so i had quite the experience

there’s some stuff in the middle act that i think you could take out and not change the film
that five minute sex dungeon sequence was wtf but maybe i’m being a prude
the ending made me cry, so that’s usually a sign it did something right
the fuckbox is kinda vital to what the whole movie is doing imo. just playing with essential nature of Man stuff, sex, death, birth, violence, love, what is known / what is unknown, whether we can go above our impulses / whether we can't. I don't think it's a coincidence the most "sophisticated" crew member is the one we see in the fuckbox, especially since Binoche has a crazy "Mother Nature personified" thing going on and will create at all costs.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:05 pm
i pirated two versions, one of which had bad russian dubbing and a massive Sherlock advertisement that took up 30% of the screen with Cumberbatch's face bouncing back and forth

so clearly that is the version i watched
Michaelf2225 wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm
i knew nothing about it besides it featuring robert pattinson in space with a baby, so i had quite the experience

there’s some stuff in the middle act that i think you could take out and not change the film
that five minute sex dungeon sequence was wtf but maybe i’m being a prude
the ending made me cry, so that’s usually a sign it did something right
the fuckbox is kinda vital to what the whole movie is doing imo. just playing with essential nature of Man stuff, sex, death, birth, violence, love, what is known / what is unknown, whether we can go above our impulses / whether we can't. I don't think it's a coincidence the most "sophisticated" crew member is the one we see in the fuckbox, especially since Binoche has a crazy "Mother Nature personified" thing going on and will create at all costs.

-Vader
that’s a good analysis, and i think you’re spot on. i guess it also sets up her raping Pattinson later - which i don’t know i would’ve bought otherwise. i felt the dogs were a little on the nose/predictable, but also completely inevitable and the only thing that could have been on the ship.

i’d love to hear what you made of the ending. my feeling was that them dying was kind of irrelevant. whether they could possibly survive the black hole or not, they were wandering, moving on to whatever comes next. of course, the fellow moviegoers were debating whether they survived or not lol...

Yeah that's all very opaque. I would say just the transience of life/time/matter, but who knows lol.

-Vader

it doesn't matter if they survived or not. The last shot is of them smiling at each other so whether or not they survived, all that matters is that they're in a better place and they're happy. It's a beautiful ending.

The Wild Pear Tree: Similar to Ceylan's last movie - Winter Sleep - in many ways, and a bit of a letdown in others. This is also over 3 hours long, and there is also lot of talk. On the other hand, it soon starts feeling a little repetitive as every conversation keeps making the same point about the protagonist, until the final third where it pivots to land on a rather prosaic conclusion. The lead performance is also weaker, devoid of any complexity, as the actor's face, voice, and bearing, all simultaneously betray his thoughts.

Watched The Hustle to kill time before going to the airport.

It was all right. If Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson weren't so funny it would have been really boring. You can tell that Hathaway had a lot of fun making this.

This film got slaughtered by the critics but I enjoyed it for what it was, good dumb fun and a time killer.

Artemis wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:37 pm

It was all right. If Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson weren't so funny it would have been really boring. You can tell that Hathaway had a lot of fun making this.

This film got slaughtered by the critics but I enjoyed it for what it was, good dumb fun and a time killer.
Hathaway looks awful in the trailers.

Allstar wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:40 pm
Artemis wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Hathaway looks awful in the trailers.
Idk I liked her in the trailers and in this movie. She's a good comedic actress.

She got that comedy down. I haven't seen The Hustle but she was one of the best in Ocean's 8.

The woman was in The Princess Diaries after all. Those films are still funny af even after so many years. To doubt the comedic skills of the Princess of Genovia should be a crime. :judge: