Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The book Under the Skin is based on is really good though.

I love a handful of Glazer's music videos and I heard several pieces of the soundtrack to the film live when I saw Oliver Coates perform, so I was really intrigued. Don't get me wrong, the film's good in my opinion, but I wasn't in awe at anything and it felt exactly like the film I figured I would be seeing.

Under the Skin is pretty good, but the Kubrick comparisons are bizarre. It's much closer in theme to something like Solaris.

i don't love it

anyway i watched The Train last night, it fucking rules. Recommended by McQ on twitter.

-Vader

Artemis wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 9:49 pm
Easy Rider

Jack Nicholson was hot wtf
i watched it like a month or two ago and that was exactly what i thought lmao

i think the nola cemetery trip aged very poorly and i was just not a fan of it, but the rest is pretty damn great. bleak film overall

Ruth wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 3:59 pm
Artemis wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 9:49 pm
Easy Rider

Jack Nicholson was hot wtf
i watched it like a month or two ago and that was exactly what i thought lmao

i think the nola cemetery trip aged very poorly and i was just not a fan of it, but the rest is pretty damn great. bleak film overall
The diner scene and the ending got to me the most.
I loved Nicholson's monologue about UFO's and aliens. That was great.

I thought the first 30 minutes or so we're boring but when Nicholson came on screen it picked up for me. Great look and deconstruction of America and how the counter cultures are treated. It made me said that Wyatt and Billy had American flag motorcycles and had the American flag on their jacket but were still treated like shit.

Vader182 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 3:55 pm

anyway i watched The Train last night, it fucking rules. Recommended by McQ on twitter.

-Vader
Frankenheimer rules. My friend has a 16mm print of Seconds, for what it's worth.

Manchurian isn't my favorite (it's very good), but I'm going to have to dive deep.

-Vader

It's been a while since I saw The Train but I kind of remember that my main issue with it was Paul Scofield's character - Colonel von Waldheim. Maybe it's because the movie was released merely a generation after the end of WWII but the devolution of his character from this interesting, decent man in the beginning to a caricature of Nazi wickedness by the end, devoid of any trace of kindness, really stuck out; even more so because of how good Scofield's performance is. And no I don't think his genuine love of the paintings countervails that view. Being a good person, or in possession of some kind of virtue is not a requirement to appreciate art.

Anyway, Seven Days In May is my favorite Frankenheimer movie.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 8:49 pm
It's been a while since I saw The Train but I kind of remember that my main issue with it was Paul Scofield's character - Colonel von Waldheim. Maybe it's because the movie was released merely a generation after the end of WWII but the devolution of his character from this interesting, decent man in the beginning to a caricature of Nazi wickedness by the end, devoid of any trace of kindness, really stuck out; even more so because of how good Scofield's performance is. And no I don't think his genuine love of the paintings countervails that view. Being a good person, or in possession of some kind of virtue is not a requirement to appreciate art.

Anyway, Seven Days In May is my favorite Frankenheimer movie.
I don't think that he's necessarily decent in the beginning - the first scene is a fake-out and then his true nature is revealed as we transition to the titles/seizing of the paintings. His pretensions are exposed as his control lessens. Also, vitally, the character is humiliated which will often turn people feral.

My top 5 Frankenheimer's go something like this:

1. Birdman of Alcatraz
2. The Manchurian Candidate
3. The Train
4. Seven Days in May
5. Reindeer Games - no, seriously. That film is as bleakly funny as the 60s classics and fits in better with them than the absolute dirge that is Ronin.

The Art of Self Defense

I loved this. I went in only having watched one trailer and knowing nothing else and this film surprised me. Please go see it.