Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 2:18 pm
Caught Gone Girl on TV a few days ago, and man....

It's not a film I immediately think of when I think of Fincher, but I just can't get it out of my head and I had a realization it might suddenly be one of my favorites of his
I rewatch this film like all the time. It's one of my favs from his honestly.

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

I’m a huge Coen Bros. fan but this one just never came alive for me. It plays like a joke that seems funny when you think of it but is less so once spoken. I’ve seen a lot of people praise Jennifer Jason-Leigh’s performance but I found it grotesque at times.

Oof.

Artemis wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 2:26 pm
Ruth wrote:

It's not a film I immediately think of when I think of Fincher, but I just can't get it out of my head and I had a realization it might suddenly be one of my favorites of his
I still think Zodiac is my favorite (which I'm totally rewatching this week), but this has made it into my top 3 Fincher I think. The eerie atmosphere of this melts me

Ruth wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 3:16 pm
Artemis wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 2:26 pm
Ruth wrote:

I still think Zodiac is my favorite (which I'm totally rewatching this week), but this has made it into my top 3 Fincher I think. The eerie atmosphere of this melts me
Same tho

In the last few days, having some free time on my hands and not being busy, I managed to watch some old classics. I got to see The Dirty Dozen, Deliverance, Runaway Train, Midnight Cowboy, Shawshank Redemption, The Longest Yard (the original), and I'm currently finishing Enemy Mine. I've been burned out by all of the modern schlock and wanted to go back to some old stuff I remember watching as a kid or I remember hearing about. Very refreshing. Kind of amazes me how so many old movies still hold up and how they are even superior to many modern movies in a lot ways. Like the Runaway Train. The stuff the filmmakers managed to pull off at that time, with a small budget, no CGI, is astonishing. Everything is done in camera, the train is real, the stunts are real, no sugarcoating. You go and watch any train scene from any contemporary movie, and it's almost always looks like donkey crap with green screen and obvious cuts.

GLASS

Honestly really enjoyed it and thought it wrapped up very well. Probably helped I had a really perfect viewing at home and not in a theater with immature audience members. M Night did a great job

Mary Queen of Scots: This was pretty decent imo. Don't really understand why it's gotten relatively mediocre to poor reviews? Sure, Elizabeth and Mary never met but I thought it worked for the better in this screenplay. Anyway, Ronan is the MVP, she owns every scene she's in, such a talented actress. I really loved Robbie's performance too, albeit her part is smaller than Ronan's, she still was able to make it feel like it was 50/50 which is quite a feat given Ronan's work imo. Beautiful costumes and locations. Lowden and Alwyn held their own amongst these powerful female performances.
I just really didn't like the look of the film, it was so sharp and crisp it made it look fake more often than not, which is a pity.

On the Basis of Sex: Pleasantly surprised, Jones and Hammer are fantastic. The narrative mostly relies on the many, and lengthy, dialogues but it never feels tiring. It's also so weird to realise that the very subject of the film only got through court very recently. The last scene was the cherry on top. Loved the look of the film, it was warm and felt real with more than fitting costume and make-up work to make the 50s and the 70s look convincing. Very nice that it was shot on 35mm. The soundtrack didn't seem very fitting imo.

My House in Umbria: Smith is this film lol, a nice little story although it edges too much on the melodrama at times.

Jusqu'à la Garde: Okay I didn't expect it to go that way... Intense performance of Ménochet and the little kid was impressive.

Thor: The Dark World

Ugh. Shocked to see the same screenwriters of this wrote Winter Soldier and Civil War.

Nightcrawler

Watched this to wash the taste of TDW out. Kind of watched this more distracted than I usually do with movies and I regret it. That being said, the film is fantastic, especially due to Gyllenhaal.

So I did rewatch Zodiac (2007), as I said. Good lord, I fucking love this movie. Like, I don't know what else to contribute, apart from saying that I love this film so much. It's always a close call with The Social Network when it comes to my favorite Fincher film, but this always ends up getting the upper hand from me. It just has this magnetic pull on me, whenever I catch this on TV or whatever, I can't switch the channel off, even if I'm busy or something, I'll always find myself glued to the screen every time.

Pet Sematary: I haven't seen the original film nor read the novel but I thought this was okay at most. Clarke and Lithgow obviously do a good job but the rest failed to make much of an impression on me tbh. Honestly, I thought this would've been a whole lot more about dead pets coming back to haunt ya but that was limited. The cat was great though. Read there were multiple cats but still, it worked, with the added hair and make-up and effects, so yeah I really dug the cat lol
But this is no adaptation like IT. Which is weird to say since I wasn't familiar with the source material but comparing it to Muschietti's film, I think he has crafted the better film. In this films defence, the story of IT is so much more to begin with... So there's that.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: Does it re-enact almost all of T2? Yes. Does it overuse classic lines? Certainly. Is Arnold/T800 far less of a compelling and impressive character which is thisclose to becoming a joke? Sadly so. It also misses the most important character of the first two films, Hamilton as Connor. Sarah is so integral to what makes Terminator 1 and 2 tick that you already lost the battle if your new Terminator film is without her.
I think Stahl did his best but he's just not a convincing leader of the world's resistance against the machines. Sure, that's not what he is for the entire film sans his last scene but I will always have a hard time buying it. Danes is good, as always, but her character is greatly underwritten. From a certain point she goes through way too many developments without any moment of actually taking it all in... Loken serves as the T-X which is sadly just a mix of the T800 and the T1000.

It's fun to watch these films again, T3 and onwards included because I'm getting more and more excited about the new T3. Salvation is up next which I haven't seen in years and years either. I wonder how it'll hold up, it also turns 10 this year.

Creed II: Decided to watch this without having seen any Rocky sequels (also, there are literally SIX of those? damn).
I liked it, it had fine performances. However, it just can't get ahead of it's typical boxing movie tropes. Meaning it was very predictable.