Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
John Wick: Chapter 2

Honesty the first movie felt more competently made.

Jason and the Argonauts

At last some impressive practical effects. To bad noone makes films like this anymore nowadays (LOTR is the only film that comes to mind). The acting is good for the most part, the creatures are fascinating and the story is pretty straightforward. The silly skeletons at the end provide a cool fight scene but the movie ends a bit too abruptly (not to mention it does not even go into what Medea did to her brother in order to help Jason escape her father).

8.5/10

Enchanted

Not as subversive as it wants to be but still charming and the performances are all endearing (with Amy Adams, Timothy Spall and James Marsden being the standouts). The film tries the 'reality is not as simple' approach but it's still Disney so reality is not as harsh as it could be in the story and Disney is not the company to willingly tear down the very lucrative princess brand. However, the story works just fine and if we had gotten more scenes like the Happy Working Song sequence I might appreciate the film more. As it stands, it does not fully commit to the subversion of Disney tropes but Amy Adams plays a very charming character and you believe the romance and the film is funny.

8.5/10

Detective Pikachu
Nice and funny, and incredibly nostalgic too. But that dialogue in delivery is god awful. I hope the franchise moves forward based on the Pokemon and not the human characters.

Or at l east let Danny Devito be Pikachu

Havoc1st wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 10:21 am
John Wick: Chapter 2

Honesty the first movie felt more competently made.
The first movie is the best, easily. The third isn't even trying to tell a proper story, it's trying to drag things out to such an extreme crawl so that they can milk the franchise dry. The choreography is also getting repetitive. Hopefully Chapter 4 is an improvement, because each John Wick has gotten progressively worse. Not that any of the. are bad though, they're all above the average fare that is industrially pumped out by Marvel.

The Shining

This was my first time watching it and I got to see it in a theater. It was awesome.

I have some thoughts on an underlying feminist theme I detected and on the struggle between balancing wife and mother roles. If anyone wants to hear it let me know.

Artemis wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 10:41 am
The Shining

This was my first time watching it and I got to see it in a theater. It was awesome.

I have some thoughts on an underlying feminist theme I detected and on the struggle between balancing wife and mother roles. If anyone wants to hear it let me know.
All ears.

Master Virgo wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Artemis wrote:
The Shining

All ears.
Copying and pasting my thoughts from a discord server I'm in
Has the role of motherhood and modern woman ever been discussed when talking about The Shining?

In the film, we see Wendy take care of so many upkeep tasks at the hotel.
And she's also the one who comes up with an escape plan if shit really goes down.
On top of that, she has a child to take care of and a husband to attend to. The scenes where Jack wakes up from his nightmare and then Danny comes in with the strangulation marks and where Jack complains about how Wendy should care about him more are rather on the nose when it comes to talking about the clashing of motherhood and being a wife.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there is a feminist take lurking in this movie.
Jack is totally controlled by his id and he's hella unhinged
Wendy, even while in distress, manages to stay somewhat logical. In other horror movies she would have been killed.

Hush directed by Mike Flanagan

He's slowly starting to turn into one of my favorite directors. Really looking forward to Doctor Sleep. And if you haven't sen Hush, it's on Netflix. Go check it out.

Artemis wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 12:57 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Artemis wrote:
The Shining

All ears.
Copying and pasting my thoughts from a discord server I'm in
Has the role of motherhood and modern woman ever been discussed when talking about The Shining?

In the film, we see Wendy take care of so many upkeep tasks at the hotel.
And she's also the one who comes up with an escape plan if shit really goes down.
On top of that, she has a child to take care of and a husband to attend to. The scenes where Jack wakes up from his nightmare and then Danny comes in with the strangulation marks and where Jack complains about how Wendy should care about him more are rather on the nose when it comes to talking about the clashing of motherhood and being a wife.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there is a feminist take lurking in this movie.
Jack is totally controlled by his id and he's hella unhinged
Wendy, even while in distress, manages to stay somewhat logical. In other horror movies she would have been killed.
Isn't the story of the shooting contradicting this? (I don't really have an answer)

Demoph wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:29 pm
Isn't the story of the shooting contradicting this? (I don't really have an answer)
I know Kubrick was really terrible towards Duvall, but I don't know if it changes my observations too much. This is just what I noticed on this viewing. The stark contrasts between Wendy and Jack.