Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nistopher Colon wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 2:12 pm
The Batman trilogy I made up in my head. Most awesome films ever imagined.
Oh, right, and 'To Catch a Thief' by Alfred Hitchcock. Not his best film but still quite enjoyable. I had an early suspicion as to who the jewel thief was and the film did a good job at throwing me off the scent for a while.

finally watched Brighter Summer Day today and my god it is every bit the masterpiece its reputation would indicate

if you guys are sleeping on the cinema of Edward Yang, wake up and watch it

-Vader

I've got Brighter Summer Day for some time on my computer, but I don't want to watch it in too many pieces, so I'll have to make time for it.

Batfan175 wrote:
Elaborate

LelekPL wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 8:02 am
Batfan175 wrote:
Elaborate
Here are short premises of what I had created in my mind. Of course noone knows how the stories go but me.
Son of Gotham: Bruce Wayne at the beginning of his crime-fighting career as the intimidating Batman is convinced by his loyal butler Alfred Pennyworth to seek out his childhood psychiatrist, Dr. Hugo Strange, in an effort to perhaps rid himself of the inner demons that torment him. In the process, Bruce ends up meeting the headstrong yet charming Ms. Selina Kyle who wishes to find out more about her own past as all over the city strange abductions are being committed and people suffer frightful visions which show them their deepest, darkest fears...

Sweet Kiss of Death: Bruce Wayne reunites with one of his oldest childhood friends, the print journalist Vicky Vale, who returns to Gotham after spending several years abroad. Yet as he risks alienating Ms. Kyle in the process, he must also contend with the Joker and his henchwoman as various mysterious poisonings are being committed all over the city without an apparent motive. The seeds of doubt being sown, the Batman must decide whether to save what he loves most or give up the dream of a sanctuary forever.

Knight's End: After many years of crime fighting, the Batman's moral and physical limitations are being tested by an escaped prisoner without mercy or compassion in a monstrous and violent game of cat-and-mouse that announces Gotham's descent into a nightmare without wake. As the walls of Arkham crumble forever, the young Lonnie Machin is forced choose whether to stay true to his political convictions in the face of inhumanity and Bruce Wayne, in the face of the suffering of the people most dear to him, must finally confront that most crucial question: what does structural change mean to those who break the law in order to enforce it?

The Little Drummer Girl

Park Chan-wook directed a miniseries in 2018 based on a Le Carre novel, and I had no clue about it. Found about it while exploring Florence Pugh's filmography. Solid solid solid work all around. Editing alone is of the highest order here. The direction and the three leads, especially Pugh and Shannon, are just mesmerizing.

The Little Foxes (1941)

This film hit hard emotionally. I got emotional at about two points and people who have seen the film will likely know which scenes I'm referring to. It is a rather brutal presentation of insidious, two-faced human greed and misanthropy but it also brings to you in a sad and empathetic way the importance of strong moral principles and critical thought in the face of uncaring and self-centered opportunism. The acting is superb from everyone involved and the ending seems more on the overall optimistic side of things despite the final shot being Bette Davies' face slinking into a darkness that reflects the moral emptiness of the character she plays in this.

The Terrorizers is a fucking masterpiece and it is a complete tragedy what happened to Yang's filmography.

if it wasn't for Yi Yi and Scorsese championing Taipei Story and A Brighter Summer Day we'd barely know him, let alone as one of the masters of the medium.

-Vader

criterion does the lords work better than any missionary

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:47 pm
criterion does the lords work better than any missionary
yeh but they don't even have terrorizers

its a forgotten masterpiece sadly

-Vader