Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It Follows (2015)

This was a very interesting horror film. The ending itself I found quite well-done, due to the ambiguity and its open-endedness. The entity that follows the main character is never entirely explained and its amorphous nature helps create tension in all manner of situations. At times, I was reminded of 'The Forbidden Planet' and the invisible creature in that film. The acting is excellent, the sex never gratuitous and the cinematography is gorgeous, as we often get shots that last for a long time, communicating fear and a tense atmosphere throughout.

8.5/10

Happy Death Day (2017)

A horror comedy that replicates Groundhog Day (there is even a reference to this in the movie) with the slasher genre, as the main character has to find out who keeps killing her at the end of the day of her birthday, which she keeps reliving over and over again. The film offers no reason as to why she keeps reliving the same day, all we know is that it is happening and that a masked killer manages to kill her every single time on that day. Jessica Rothe is quite endearing here and you want her to escape the purgatory she's in, even though she starts out as a terrible person. The film is not scary at all but fun. It does not have much in terms of depths other than the main character going through a change of character the more she realizes the nature of the hell she finds herself in.

7/10

ArmandFancypants wrote:
July 4th, 2018, 9:42 pm
The Human Condition trilogy (1959-1961)
Dir. Masaki Kobayashi

holy fuck that had all the things in it and more

I don't think there's anyone I've seen use a scope frame better than Kobayashi and Miyajima.

Also why does nobody talk about how Nakadai is probably one of the greatest film actors... ever? Cause he kinda is.
fuck I really have to see this

Nomis wrote:
July 5th, 2018, 5:50 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
July 4th, 2018, 9:42 pm
The Human Condition trilogy (1959-1961)
Dir. Masaki Kobayashi

holy fuck that had all the things in it and more

I don't think there's anyone I've seen use a scope frame better than Kobayashi and Miyajima.

Also why does nobody talk about how Nakadai is probably one of the greatest film actors... ever? Cause he kinda is.
fuck I really have to see this
Harakiri first if you haven't already

added it to the ever-growing list

Batfan175 wrote:
July 4th, 2018, 10:59 pm
It Follows (2015)

This was a very interesting horror film. The ending itself I found quite well-done, due to the ambiguity and its open-endedness. The entity that follows the main character is never entirely explained and its amorphous nature helps create tension in all manner of situations. At times, I was reminded of 'The Forbidden Planet' and the invisible creature in that film. The acting is excellent, the sex never gratuitous and the cinematography is gorgeous, as we often get shots that last for a long time, communicating fear and a tense atmosphere throughout.

8.5/10

Happy Death Day (2017)

A horror comedy that replicates Groundhog Day (there is even a reference to this in the movie) with the slasher genre, as the main character has to find out who keeps killing her at the end of the day of her birthday, which she keeps reliving over and over again. The film offers no reason as to why she keeps reliving the same day, all we know is that it is happening and that a masked killer manages to kill her every single time on that day. Jessica Rothe is quite endearing here and you want her to escape the purgatory she's in, even though she starts out as a terrible person. The film is not scary at all but fun. It does not have much in terms of depths other than the main character going through a change of character the more she realizes the nature of the hell she finds herself in.

7/10
Pretty much my stance on both movies. Loved It Follows!

HEREDITARY. Jesus fuck what did I just watch. I feel very disturbed and not right. As of right now that film gets an A from me. Absolutely loved and hated it (in a good way)

i was super ready to be cynical about ready player one and shut it off the moment i was bored but i watched the whole thing. speely dont play around

my favorite part of the movie was where the stunningly gorgeous girl feels ashamed about her minor facial scar

genuinely confused by some aspects of that move's reception, feel like a lot of people are projecting stuff onto it Spielberg is wholly unconcerned with

-Vader

Ready Player One was a delight. My favourite from the master since Lincoln. I dare say there were even some hints of Spielberg magic in it.£