Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Indeed "Plein soleil" (french title) is one of those film that make me think that you can tell any story as long as it's about beautiful people in beautiful landscapes. Not just Delon, but also Ronet and Laforêt in Italy. And yes, except maybe in La Piscine (with Birkin, Romy Schneider and Ronet), and Il Gattopardo, he has never been as attractive.

Ad Astra: Beautiful, both in its story as in its aesthetic. Van Hoytema delivers stunning work and the production design is great. Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones deliver great performances (also Jones and Sutherland got old man, shit). I really liked Gray's directing. I loved The Lost City of Z and this has that same sort of slow burn storytelling that really works for me. I could've done with a bit fewer narrative by Pitt but overall, I'm pleased.

The Taking of Pelham 123: Fun, Tony Scott was a great storyteller imo.

Monos: Atmospheric and a bit haunting. Great use of unknown actors and Julianne Nicholson was a great pick for this part. She nails it like the rest of the cast.

Law Abiding Citizen: Bit of a bizarre story lol but fun nonetheless.

Suspiria (2018): Tilda is obviously the MVP. Especially her work as madam Blanc, just, so much energy, so sexual, so captivating. One of my favourite performances of hers lately. Not to forget that she's pretty damn good in those other roles as well.
As for the film, now having seen it for a third time after two relatively quick viewings after each other last year, it has settled. I do like it and admire it but I think it cracks under its own weight. It's ambitious but I think it would've been better if they narrowed it down a bit. I also think Guadagnino has a perfect knack for atmosphere and tension building but like I said, the film is imo a bit too long to really hold on to that eerie feeling.

True Story: Pretty good work from Hill, overall I think it lacks some sort of judgment on the story as a whole. It could've been more firm and piercing considering what happened.

Presumed Innocent: A lot more sensual than I thought it would be. Ford and Scacchi have good chemistry and I quite liked the story. The mystery is just complex enough for this runtime. I really liked the ending.

In the Shadow of the Moon: It starts out pretty nice but the story... Rather forgettable. Boyd tho

Joker: I for one really liked this. Phoenix is this film and he is, as he always is, amazing. Give him the Oscar now please. I also thought the production design and set dressing was on point. It felt very lived in. De Niro was great and the score perfectly builds the tension. I think the whole controversy around the films violence and how it depicts Arthur is blown out of proportions. It's as if people have either never seen (very) violent films or can't seem to compute that a rather sad character can amount to terrible things. Anyway, the whole controversy is absurd.
I think this can get some press going for technical Oscars too. It's very well made.

Crawl: This was fun, basically this years The Shallows.

The Professor and the Madman: It was okay.

Pokémon Detective Pikachu: lol the story is so incredibly simple and the lead failed to make an impression on me. Reynolds as Pikachu is basically PG-Deadpool, it's fun and it was one of the few things that made me keep my attention to it. The creature design is great, VFX are on point but the aggressive neo-noir setting didn't really match the story imo. Again, those Pokémon are so cute. Especially the insanely fluffy Pikachu.

Spooks The Greater Good: Eh, it doesn't quite get there on any level? Like, who are these characters

Shazam!: Fun family flick. It's lightweight enough and brings just enough action for a superhero film.

I really like the parts of Shazam! where Zachary Levy wasn't on screen, lol, and I actually like the dude. It's just that his portrayal of the title character was so freaking annoying and had nothing to do with what Asher Angel was doing.

He was playing the role like a fucking idiot, as if since I'm playing a teenager I have to be like this all the time :roll:

I agree it's not very similar to Angel's performance, which is a pity, but I didn't thought he was annoying.

Also as for that first post credit scene
it was so funny, I had to look up which villain that was but omg I love it. It's basically Plankton from Spongebob lol amazing, they should put Mr Mind in The Suicide Squad or something anyway definitely the funniest moment from the film

spade wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 10:10 am
What are your thoughts about the ending? I think it works perfectly well. Of course Highsmith had other opinion.
it felt perfectly in keeping with the (daytime) noir framework, although I do prefer the ending of the book.
Demoph wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 2:34 pm
Indeed "Plein soleil" (french title) is one of those film that make me think that you can tell any story as long as it's about beautiful people in beautiful landscapes. Not just Delon, but also Ronet and Laforêt in Italy. And yes, except maybe in La Piscine (with Birkin, Romy Schneider and Ronet), and Il Gattopardo, he has never been as attractive.
Indeed. This is generally true of film but especially true of French and Italian movies in this period, which contain some of the most beautiful people to grace the screen. Delon, Karina, Deneuve, Jeanne Moreau, Marcello Mastroianni, Monica Vitti, Léa Massari, Jean Seberg, and the list goes on.

-Vader

This was insufferable. I have never seen more people walk out of a movie before, and I contemplated doing the same. I knew exactly where this story was going, the boyfriend deserved an award for least charismatic male lead ever, and I knew what beats where coming up, as well as lines of dialogue that were utterly pompous; Richard Ayoade in particular has one of the most pretentious monologues I have ever heard delivered. What a fucking waste of celluloid.

big oof

isn't Tilda's daughter in that, too?

I didn't know that was her daughter. I'd like to see her talents put to better use in other movies because she has something, just like her mother.

Her other acting credit was in Io sono l'amore but I haven't seen that yet nor do I know how large her part in that film is.

Secret of NIMH

This has aged perfectly.

The Truman Show

That was an awkward movie to watch with one of my friends who is a devout Christian