Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Incredible

Okay, yeah so Paths of Glory was incredible and is pretty high up there in my favorite Kubrick films.

Re-Animator

I had never seen the film before. This was fun and disgusting both at the same time. Some of the stuff in this film is pretty outrageous. The three main characters are well-played by the actors involved and Jeffrey Combs in particular is a stand-out here. The practical effects are pretty spectacular as well. An iconic horror film for sure.

The Purge: Anarchy

I did not see the first film in the series and you really don't have to watch the first one to understand the rather simple premise of the Purge. What makes this film work are the characters who start out in different locations and then, through various circumstances, wind up together on the night of the Purge, trying to survive the night. Frank Grillo's character is a rather mysterious figure who wants to participate in the Purge for reasons that are unknown but you are led to believe one thing at the beginning and towards the end of the film you realize it is something else but the film frames his quest as something futile and reprehensible and the film has some interesting things to say about violence and class conflict.

Yeah,love Re-Animator.
Jeffrey Combs is disturbingly quirky and the intro music is just the best.
I would recommend From Beyond,if you haven't seen it ofcourse.
Just as nuts.

Quite fine debut of Aronofsky

Also he should direct more often

DREAMER wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 3:18 pm
Yeah,love Re-Animator.
Jeffrey Combs is disturbingly quirky and the intro music is just the best.
I would recommend From Beyond,if you haven't seen it ofcourse.
Just as nuts.
Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't been able to watch From Beyond until now but I hear it's excellent.

You Were Never Really Here

Just as good as the first time.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Enjoyed it just as much as last time.

Whiplash

Chazelle's masterpiece. Best film of the decade? Trying to force myself to remove the ?

lol. That de-aging of Pfeiffer tho, damn. Makes me more and more eager to see The Irishman.

I'm sure this could've been great if it was handled by someone more experienced. I also continue to dislike the way the 50s and 60s are portrayed with cinematography like in this film. It feels fake.

I was caught off guard by so many shots in the first act lol, it's an okay crime film, but I must admit I'm already starting to forget large parts of it... Which isn't a good sign.

Incredible, a true stunner. This Chazelle guy is quite something

Wonderful, so charming and touching.