Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 4:52 pm
Ruth wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 4:46 pm
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - worse than ant man
yeah but does ant man have Monica Bellucci titties tho?
do I want to watch Monica Bellucci’s titties?

Ruth wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 5:07 pm
Artemis wrote:
Ruth wrote:
They were in the Dracula movie you saw

Ruth wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Ruth wrote:
That film is just so wonderfully over-the-top. Keanu Reeves' performance is the only thing I do not like about it. Everything else is glorious Goth and atmospheric, just one of the best vampire films ever made.

Batfan175 wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 5:15 pm
Ruth wrote:
Artemis wrote:

That film is just so wonderfully over-the-top. Keanu Reeves' performance is the only thing I do not like about it. Everything else is glorious Goth and atmospheric, just one of the best vampire films ever made.
lmao yeah. reeves is horribly miscast, and, throw tomatoes at me, i think ryder is also pretty hit or miss for me here. But the atmosphere is mesmerizing

Ruth wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 5:24 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
Ruth wrote:

lmao yeah. reeves is horribly miscast, and, throw tomatoes at me, i think ryder is also pretty hit or miss for me here. But the atmosphere is mesmerizing
Yea, Coppola was really jonesing to work with Ryder after she was unable to be in Godfather III (the part Sofia played) that he cast her in this and she doesn't work.
Her and Reeves don't work in Victorian London.
The movie is worth watching though for its gorgeous production design and Oldman as the titled character.

radewart wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 6:04 pm
Ruth wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 5:24 pm
Batfan175 wrote:

Yea, Coppola was really jonesing to work with Ryder after she was unable to be in Godfather III (the part Sofia played) that he cast her in this and she doesn't work.
Her and Reeves don't work in Victorian London.
The movie is worth watching though for its gorgeous production design and Oldman as the titled character.
I like Ryder in this film, especially the scenes with Oldman. These scenes are of course over-dramatic, but in the end it works and participates to the fantastical feel of the film. In fact, I have a sweet spot for the film. The opening sequence is mesmerizing, the scene when Oldman and Ryder have dinner together ("the princess is a river") is beautiful, and the ending is great: I still don't completely understand it, but I love it.
Also, Tom Waits is great, and it's always nice to see Grant and Ewles, even if they don't have much to do.

Demoph wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 6:14 pm
I like Ryder in this film, especially the scenes with Oldman. These scenes are of course over-dramatic, but in the end it works and participates to the fantastical feel of the film. In fact, I have a sweet spot for the film. The opening sequence is mesmerizing, the scene when Oldman and Ryder have dinner together ("the princess is a river") is beautiful, and the ending is great: I still don't completely understand it, but I love it.
Also, Tom Waits is great, and it's always nice to see Grant and Ewles, even if they don't have much to do.
Don't forget Anthony Hopkins throwing decapitated vampire heads over a cliff whilst shouting angrily at the skies.

But seriously, what I appreciate about the film is how it makes vampires into shapeshifting, almost formless monsters because Dracula himself takes on like 10 different physical shapes in this film. In that way, it reminds me of The Company of Wolves a lot, which gave each werewolf a distinct transformation and generally is a very stylish, mood-driven, dream-like movie I simply adore.

I Married a Witch

Hella entertaining. This is also the third Frederic March film I've seen and I still don't see "Frederic March." Mark of a good actor. Veronica Lake is truly *chefs kiss.*

Shrek 2

i just love this movie.

Three Women (1977)

Incredible, perfect and unforgettable. This might feel Polanski in atmospherics, but the characters are singularly Altman. And I think this is the first and perhaps only Altman film where he himself has the sole screenwriting credit. Both Spacek and Duvall are also terrific. I immediately feel like watching it again.