Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 12:19 am
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:47 pm
criterion does the lords work better than any missionary
yeh but they don't even have terrorizers

its a forgotten masterpiece sadly

-Vader
lobby them. badlands got in through sheer internet outrage ya never know

Midsommar

Solid. Not as gripping or as memorable as Hereditary, but a nice follow up from Aster. He’s quickly becoming one of the best in the horror genre because of how well he blends his arthouse sensibility with provocative exploitation.

So with T-Men Anthony Mann perfected the crime procedural subgenre in 1947 itself.

ChristNolan wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Midsommar

Solid. Not as gripping or as memorable as Hereditary, but a nice follow up from Aster. He’s quickly becoming one of the best in the horror genre because of how well he blends his arthouse sensibility with provocative exploitation.
its nice because aster proves that, like his figurative mentor bergman, he's also way funnier as a filmmaker than you expect

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 2:47 pm
ChristNolan wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Midsommar

its nice because aster proves that, like his figurative mentor bergman, he's also way funnier as a filmmaker than you expect

-Vader
Agreed. Despite the darkness he shows off in his films, it’s really just there to highlight the every day normal shit we all go through. And it never really takes itself too seriously regardless.
“I’m pretty sure I ate her pubes.”

“Probably so.”

:lol:

Midsommar is one of the best comedies of the last year

Game Night
This was good, but sadly not great. I think it gets too convoluted for its own good and I wished the film really stuck with a game-themed story all the way through. That is not to say that I didn't laugh or that I did not enjoy the performances but overall, some of the characters do not get to do much and any of the jokes are chuckle-worthy but did not result in real laugh out loud funny moments most of the time. Still, quite decent overall.

7/10

The Fabulous Baker Boys
Now I wished we had film stars like Michelle Pfeiffer giving performances like this more often nowadays because this is a film that is quite sensual, funny, awkward and heartbreakingly frank all at once and then some. For some reason it reminded me of 'Big Night', mainly because the protagonists are also two brothers working together and struggling financially. The performances are great, the chemistry between Jeff Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer is totally believable and during the big numbers the film looks gorgeous as well. It's a film that merits a rewatch for sure.

9/10

Death on the Nile (1978)
Having now seen the main versions of Hercule Poirot, I must say that I still love David Suchet's version of the character the most but that's also because I have been exposed to that BBC series since secondary school. Had I seen Peter Ustinov portray the character first I might feel inclined to say that both versions represent the character perfectly and I might find his version equally enjoyable, with subtle differences in the way the character interacts with the other characters. I had of course seen the BBC version of Death on the Nile but I had not revisited it for years. This one is just as atmospheric but of course benefits from a movie budget and so it feels much more grand and epic when it needs to and there are a lot of great actors involve here, all of which portray their characters well. This is also a film I could rewatch multiple times and not get bored despite knowing the answer to the mystery.

9/10

Terminator: Dark Fate

Somehow this was an even bigger piece of garbage than Geneshite. It's effectively
The Rise of Skywalker of the series, in that it ruins and retcons a perfectly told story for the sake of retelling it in a far inferior way. All so that it can cash on nostalgia. An absolutely abysmal affair.
It's baffling that Cameron criticises
Awakens and Alien³
and then commits to this fucking thing.

Apparently post production on that film was a pure shitshow between Miller and Cameron.

Hamilton and Schwarzenegger were great though. Same with Davis.

Films I've watched so far in January:

The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)
Empire of Passion (1978)
I Shot Jesse James (1949)
At Eternity's Gate (2018)
Spaceballs (1987)
Brightness (1987)
Beginners (2010)
Le Doulos (1962)
Body and Soul (1925)
Female Trouble (1974)
Whisky Galore! (1949)
The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)
Let the Sunshine In (2017)
The Lodger (1927)
Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
Louie Bluie (1985)

I'm currently working on watching all films on the Criterion Collection and the 1001 Movies. It's slow going right now, as I'm mostly only able to watch movies on the weekends due to work, but I'm hoping to be able to watch more this summer and catch up on all the award season movies I missed this past year. My favorites out of this group were Alfred Hitchcock's The Lodger and At Eternity's Gate.