Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Goldfinch: Well, Deakins and Kidman are great as they always are... I think the biggest problem is the narrative, so much of it doesn't make sense.

Parasite: Top tier, I loved this. It's bizarre, gut-wrenching, hilarious and heartwarming. It's got it all and it's all perfectly balanced. Great directing, cinematography, acting you name it.

Knives Out: A whole lot of fun. A nice take on the whodunnit genre, both subverting and complementing it. Ana de Armas is this film and she's great. Craig's turn was very funny and Curtis and Colette just eat this up. Johnson's energetic style works perfectly for this.

In the last week:

The Circus (1928) - 3.5/5
On Her Majesty's Secret Service - 4.5/5
Krampus (2015) - 3/5
North by Northwest - 5/5
Parasite - 4.5/5
The Knight Before Christmas - 2.5/5

I've just accidentally watched a female empowerment double feature that was totally miserable.

Disney+'s Noelle and Blumhouse's Black Christmas... The first one isn't really terrible as it is just bland and lacking any magic that a Christmas movie should have. The second one is just bad, with a nice idea of attacking the frat culture but its execution is simply terrible and the message all over the place (big spoiler:
guys are bad but it might all just be because of black magic... but still they all have to die
). It might be a worse version of Black Christmas than the 2006 remake. A huge disappointment since I enjoyed the trailer and thought the girls kicking ass would have been a nice twist on the classic. Unfortunately, you should avoid this like the plague.

Parasite

Finally got around to this. Well that was something, but in hindsight it made sense. Also a movie much to think about afterwards.

Honey Boy

This was excellent.

i thought i was ready for The Piano Teacher but i could not handle the Haneke

i'm p sure it has some level 100 psychology shit happening which is just candy to watch

+ it had a bunch of long one takes but i wasnt aware of them until i watched a video about it afterwards so i feel the film is probably doing many things fundamentally correct

Toy Story 4: I think it was a bit slight on the whole, but really made up for it with the ending which I found more powerful than any in the previous movies - certainly than the ending of TS3 - and a worthy send-off for Sheriff Woody.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 3:08 pm
i thought i was ready for The Piano Teacher but i could not handle the Haneke

i'm p sure it has some level 100 psychology shit happening which is just candy to watch

+ it had a bunch of long one takes but i wasnt aware of them until i watched a video about it afterwards so i feel the film is probably doing many things fundamentally correct
that film is so intense like holy shit also Huppert is next level

A Hidden Life

His best work since Tree of Life. Second favorite film of the year behind Parasite.

I want to see that film so bad