Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
has anybody seen ready or not yet?

it rules

-Vader

I saw it. It was very funny. Loved the last line of dialogue and Samara Weaving rocks!

Rebecca

Very fast paced film and it kept the spirit of the novel despite cutting out a lot of scenes (the book is 400 pages long but they kept the most important parts and altered some scenes in a very clever way. Some major parts were combined together too in order to save time).

Earlier in the summer I saw Judith Anderson in another movie and in this I barely recognized her. Really the mark of a great actress who can disappear into her roles like that. She was excellent as Mrs. Danvers and really brought the character to life.
Mrs. Danvers doesn't have much screentime but she really makes her presence known and doesn't waste any of her scenes.

Joan Fontaine was amazing as Mrs. De Winter and she was perfect for the role.

This might be one of my favorite Hitchcock's from the films of his I have seen.

High Noon

I liked this movie. Great performances from like everyone basically and the plot was compelling.

I have so many ideas swirling around in my mind about themes of honor, duty, law and order, and all sorts of things but idk if I can express them all at the moment.

Anyone have suggestions on the best detective/criminal movies of the golden era? I'm trying to familiarize myself with more films from before the 1970s.

Skyab23 wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm
Anyone have suggestions on the best detective/criminal movies of the golden era? I'm trying to familiarize myself with more films from before the 1970s.
The Big Heat is the most obvious one. Some others from Fritz Lang I loved are You Only Live Once and Human Desire.

Double Indemnity is also a must as well.

You talking Film Noir?? One of my favorites...

Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Touch of Evil, Third Man, Asphalt Jungle, The Killing (early Kubrick), Dark Passage (underrated Bogart flick), Riffi (great French film noir), Postman Always Rings Twice. Casablanca (not generally considered film noir, but has a lot of the same elements).

Though it was made in 1974, Chinatown is great (it is directed by Polanski, which is an issue for many nowadays)
Last edited by radewart on September 7th, 2019, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you love Fargo, Nightfall is a must watch.

I didn't enjoy it too much but He Walked By Night is a great documentary type film that takes a fascinating look at the procedural side of things.

I second Touch Of Evil, and Maltese Falcon.

Also White Heat, which for me is the smartest police/criminal movie ever made.
Melville's The Red Circle, and Second Breath. And Anthony Mann's T-Men.

Appreciate the responses. I'm going to make a list with these suggestions and watch them in the near future.