Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I fucking loved that film

shun the none believers

Nomis wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:09 am
I fucking loved that film

shun the none believers

I liked the movie a lot better than the book tbh

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

I actually haven’t been following this film prior to seeing it, so I was a bit surprised by Tarantino using the Manson’s family as merely a backdrop in the film. They were more notable in the press to the lead-up film's release. This is a story about a fading star and his stunt man, their friendship and inevitably their co-dependency. I noticed that Tarantino did not remind us this was his nth film at the very beginning which he often does. Great. I always hated that, to me, it comes off as overt self-indulgence. On that note, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood is far less masturbatory than any of his recent outputs and I really appreciated that. Don’t get me wrong — I really reeeally like Tarantino’s work but this film felt more reserved and different. Tarantino re-teams with some of his regular collaborators here, “The Gang” as he calls them. Leonardo DiCarpio was hilarious, he’s such a great actor. Brad Pitt was great too. Margot Robbie was fine but I was confused why she was used so little. I listened to the recent conversation between PTA and Tarantino and he mentions he wanted to convey Sharon Tate as this cheerful innocence and show the audience her everyday life, so in that sense, it made more sense. This isn’t a story about her in the same way this isn’t a story about Charles Manson. I have a lot less free time to go watch movies in the cinema and I don’t like to spend that time watching long movies but it was warranted for this film. Tarantino takes his time to develop his characters and the connections between them and it really pays off at the end. All I am saying is I would happily go see this in the cinema again, lol. Overall, aside from some light-hearted cultural insensitivity, I enjoyed the film. I liked it a lot.

I was hyped to watch it but this movie is hella full of itself

Dark Phoenix

The first half is subpar but not unbearably bad or anything. Second half is nearly Batman and Robin level of hillariosity. The Last Stand is a masterpiece compared to this film.

It's unbelievable that Lee Smith and Hans Zimmer were involved in it. I could never guess for the life of me. There is a really good Magneto theme in there though, shame Magneto himself sucks balls here. lol

Master Virgo wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 12:31 am
Dark Phoenix

The first half is subpar but not unbearably bad or anything. Second half is nearly Batman and Robin level of hillariosity. The Last Stand is a masterpiece compared to this film.

It's unbelievable that Lee Smith and Hans Zimmer were involved in it. I could never guess for the life of me. There is a really good Magneto theme in there though, shame Magneto himself sucks balls here. lol
Lmao!

The Outlaw Josey Wales: I loved the look of this film. It felt so real, so lived in. Eastwood is great, both as the lead and the director. I think this is one of his finer Westerns.

John Wick Chapter 3 Parabellum: Deliciously over the top. Possibly the most entertaining of the three.

Dirty Harry: After having seen Zodiac recently I was once again reminded that I still hadn't seen it. I thought it was pretty damn good. Can't believe it's almost 50 years old wtf.

The Terminal: Finally finished watching this. I couldn't get through it at first (couple of years back lol) but I thought Spielberg was the MVP. How he manages to make something visually engaging out of such a story and setting is quite something.

Dr No: First and last time I saw this must've been some seven years ago. Now for the second time after I finished the novel. For the most part it's quite a direct adaptation, sans the wild third act battle of Bond and the giant squid, of which I understand they didn't went with in the film lol.
Anyway, the novel was not as engaging as I hoped it would be, although the ending was great. This film is just so nice, it flows well and Connery is such a fantastic Bond. He's got it all down. Started reading Goldfinger, seen the film some seven years ago too and I loved it. The book is great so far. Rewatch incoming.

Men in Black International: Worst one of the franchise. The story doesn't flow well, at all. The leads get uninteresting arcs, and they both ham it up and it just tries to mimic the previous films but fails at basically all of them.

Daybreakers: A nice idea, but I think the budget couldn't handle its ambition.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix: Okay, this is not worse than The Last Stand, but not an improvement either. Where The Last Stand was corny Dark Phoenix is just very bland. I mean, it starts off pretty good but it just flattens after that and never recovers. The script is mostly devoid of life so the actors get very little material to work with even though the Dark Phoenix story arc is one of X-Men's best in the comics. Zimmer's score is quite beautiful.
Overall it's such a missed opportunity, again, because it's a pretty good cast (again) and they've had some hits and misses before (again lol). It is also a pity that this is the last X-Men film of Fox. It's been 19 years and it ends with a whimper. However, they have delivered some fantastic films, too. I think X2 is still at the top, closely followed by Days of Future Past and Logan. First Class and the first X-Men film are very good too.

It Chapter One: Second viewing, first one was when it was released in theaters. This is such a good adaptation of the novel and it's only half of it lol. Muschietti is in control and finds just the right balance between all those characters. He makes all of them work, all their homebound fears and being preyed upon by Pennywise, one of Kings most notorious creations. Skarsgård is a great Pennywise but the kids are the stars of the show. Especially Lillis is amazing.
The book was such a wild ride (which I read in one month prior to seeing this two years ago lol it was quite the race to make the release date lol) but I still think it was the best decision to cut it in half this way. It's great on it's own but also a great prelude to Chapter Two. Thursday night is the night.

A Rainy Day in New York: This was so much fun. One of Allen's funniest films. Chalamet and Fanning are just on fire. They were both great leads, full of charisma and especially Fanning also so full of joy. She got to play a hilarious character and she just owns it. I loved this little story.

On Dangerous Ground

It's two movies in one but in this case it is done really well and it serves the main character's arc perfectly.

Ida Lupino is really great in this and I look forward to watching the films she directed now.

don't look back don't fuck around