Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've seen a lot of accusations of this film being racist and sexist though. Curious what you guys think of that way of thinking about the film

Bacon wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm
I've seen a lot of accusations of this film being racist and sexist though. Curious what you guys think of that way of thinking about the film
Sources? I’d be interested in reading them (if you’re talking about articles)

Tbh... I feel like it’s just very murky waters here. How else do you tell a story of a masive collective drug induced freakout without having your characters submit themselves to total debauchery and violence (a lot of which is, unfortunately, inherently rooted in sexism, for example). Isn’t that like the point? The cast is very diverse, if I recall correctly, there are only like what, 2 white male characters? I think I know which examples may have made people think that way but idk. I don’t think it’s a purposeful way of looking at this film, unless anyone else can elaborate better on this.

The Deer Hunter.

Good Time: Pattinson fucking owns. Terrific soundtrack and dope flick.

Aquaman: I love how wild this is with it's set pieces and world building. I wish Wan would've went a bit more serious here and there though.

Adrift: I didn't know this story at all, it's quite something... Woodley and Claflin carried this very well

Us (2019): an ok, well-acted, well-shot film that did not scare me and was not emotionally engaging.

Captain Marvel (2019): Mostly by-the-numbers origin story held back by unremarkable writing and a bland central performance. It's sad how much more this film could have been if Marvel had any vision at all.

Memento

Still so satisfying.

The black narcissus
What a visual wonder, only Il Gattopardo had visuals that were that much shouting at my eyes "watch me again, study me, for you've only scratched the surface of my beauty".
By the way, to continue to compare Powell and Visconti, Il Gattopardo and Colonel Blimp shared the idea of showing a man understanding that he's out of his time, and The black narcissus has a lot in common with Death in Venice: the souvenirs that come back to haunt, the repressed sexuality rising again, the beautiful location that becomes a nightmare...

Iron Man

Going to try and watch all of them before Endgame. God help me. This one still holds up and is as good as everyone says it is.

Us: Peele and Nyong'o are fantastic but I must admit the story didn't quite connect with me. I also thought the film was much more hilarious than it was frightening. I do appreciate the films look much more over Peele's previous film. He's insanely talented imo and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

The Terminator: I hadn't seen this in such a long time and I obviously still love it to death. It's got such a clear and even simple premise and Cameron's work is just so very kinetic which makes you buy it so easily. Awesome all around. It builds it own world convincingly, Hamilton, Biehn and of course Schwarzenegger carry this so well. Great use of practical effects, love the cinematography, the soundtrack and the score. It's just such a neat film and still impresses. Going to watch T2 again tomorrow.

Maurice: I'm such a sucker for Ivory's adaptations of Forsters books. They're made with such style and grace. It's so focused on it's characters and overall story. I didn't knew this story beforehand but I loved it. The way these characters are trapped in their time, unable to let the love between them blossom as the next straight couple... It was pretty damn heartbreaking. Grant is the MVP, but the later scenes between Wilby and Graves are convincing enough to make up for the time lost with Grant.

The 4K remaster was stunning. So glad I was able to catch this in theater, they did a tremendous job. It helps that the film is so very well made that it stands the test of time so majestically.

Vox Lux: Didn't expect to see this so soon, relatively speaking. Since it still hasn't gotten a release date in my country lol. Anyway, this had some very strong scenes, with
the first scene
being a real standout. I honestly can't remember the last time I was so intensely shocked holy shit.
However, I also think it drags at certain places. Which I think is mostly because of the script and the narrative structure. It could've used some trimming. Portman is the MVP, while it takes quite a while before she enters the film, she aces it. Portman is doing so well and I'm glad she's taking these kind of roles.
All in all this was an interesting experience. Loved that they shot on 35mm and all of Celeste's make-up work looked great.