Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: Well, it's been two years since I first and last saw this and I must admit that my problems with the character development still remain. However, I do think that the third act just flows tremendously well and Greig Frasers work, holy shit. Very impressive and the VFX are the best of any Star Wars film, too (yeah including TLJ). Pretty amazing stuff. Still can't stand the score though lol I mean what even was that besides capturing Williams' fart and then trying to copy that.

Videodrome: So uh, there were such gross parts in this lol. Anyway, I quite liked Woods' performance in this. Cronenberg is definitely one of the more skilled directors at creating a very... Odd and uncomfortable atmosphere, like, you want to know what it's about and you don't because it grosses you out. Quite liked the story.

Vice: Finally saw this and well, what an enormous information dump all things considered. For me it wasn't necessary to have this whole bizarre adaptation of Cheney's career, there was too much narration for my liking, although I did found the way they incorporated that particular person to be rather nice and tbh effective as well. That fake out end credits though, one of the best laughs of the film. However I must admit that the combination of "all this is bizarre" and "biopic" felt uneven at times, more so in the first half of the film. I don't know if that's because it takes time getting used to or that there were in fact more jumps from the one style to the other.

Anyway, Bale was top notch (okay when is he not...) but dammit, it doesn't even feel or look like acting. He just is Cheney wtf. Terrific work. Adams is great too, as ever. It has a very effective supporting cast overall. The make-up work is fantastic.
Loved Fraser's work, especially during the more realistic scenes.
I must admit that the credit scene didn't do much for me. It's obvious what point it's trying to make, but it felt like too much on top of it all.

My Name is Nobody: This was fun, it's very aware of its tone and while I thought the sped up parts went a bit too far here and there, the story makes up for it. It's quite endearing actually.

The Firm: I saw this for the first time a loooong time ago. I still really love this. I'm a sucker for lawyer/courtroom thrillers/dramas. This has got a great cast, is directed by Pollack, who's work I admire and it's also so 90s which makes it even better lol. I wish Cruise would turn back to drama and not only doing action films. Sure he's great in that, and the films are pretty good, but he's also a wonderful dramatic actor.

Vanishing Point: A pleasing story, feels a bit like Mad Max (the first film). Stays weird seeing Rampling so young lol. Think I've only seen two or three films of her where she's so youthful.
I do wonder if this film would've been better if the director did got Hackman to star. He brings a certain gravitas with him I didn't get from Newman.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
I am so happy that I watched this blasted out of my mind. This guy Gilliam accurately portrayed how it is to be high as hell. It was so trippy and hilarious. Though some of it downright made zero sense narratively, it was a great ride.

The Death of Stalin (2017) - you know it’s bad when hysterical and absurd farce can pass as genuine and not so hyperbolized account of events and historical parallels as you would expect. Bless this film’s existence

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Decided to re-watch this just because the ending just came to my mind all of a sudden few days ago. Like, i still think about the ending every once in a while till this day. A beautiful movie. The last 15 minutes or so, especially the ending, was really beautiful.
Also, i really like how the subtitles menu, on the dvd, spoiled the ending.

my darling clementine is the finest winin' and dinin' of all the wines and dines in town

"Mac, you ever been in love?"
"No, I've been a bartender all me life."

-Vader

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom-

lol, some cool elements with haunted house though.

Free Solo

Holy fuck

Stalker (1979)
Masterpiece. Automatically going in my all time top 25 somewhere

Aquaman

Fuck you James Wan for forcing me to suffer through this piece of junk for a digitally manipulated voice of Julie Andrews to utter a couple of sentences.£