Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
the books are infinitely more dynamic than the movies

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:51 am
the books are infinitely more dynamic than the movies

-Vader
From the few excerpts I've read online I could definitely see that, Rowling seems really talented. Check out Rickman in Rasputin if you haven't already.

4N Legend wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 5:32 pm

Bad Times at the El Royale
This was just fun as hell. Everyone was absolutely great (except Hemsworth.. weird).
Wish Hamm lasted the whole movie, his monologuing was great.

I actually thought Hemsworth was very good as the main antagonist.
Certainly a refreshing and unexpected role from him and he succeeded,imo.
I thought Dakota Johnson was abit bland though.
I too wished Hamm had lasted longer.

And,I agree,it is a enjoyable film.

DREAMER wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:42 pm
4N Legend wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 5:32 pm

Bad Times at the El Royale
This was just fun as hell. Everyone was absolutely great (except Hemsworth.. weird).
Wish Hamm lasted the whole movie, his monologuing was great.

I actually thought Hemsworth was very good as the main antagonist.
Certainly a refreshing and unexpected role from him and he succeeded,imo.
I thought Dakota Johnson was abit bland though.
I too wished Hamm had lasted longer.

And,I agree,it is a enjoyable film.
Well I under-explained on my part. Hemsworth wasn't great for me but he wasn't bad by any means. His inconsistent accent kept throwing me off the whole time. I liked his whole wild card demeanor

Robin Hood (1973)
Disney's version of Robin Hood is one of the few actually good adaptations of the story besides the Errol Flynn version. The characters are lots of fun, particularly Prince John, Robin Hood and the sheriff of Nottingham. Some of the songs are also quite memorable. Downsides would include reused animation at times, particularly when the characters are dancing in the forest. Other than that, the voice work is excellent, especially from Peter Ustinov who makes Prince John both funny and menacing at different moments. There are legitimately dramatic moments in this that I don't think

8/10

Cinderella (1950)
I remember being slightly underwhelmed by this film the first time I watched it but watching it again, there are elements that work quite well (the mice, the antagonists and pretty much all side characters besides Cinderella and the prince). Overall, I don't have much to say about this one, except that it is definitely a product of its time and the passive nature of the protagonist is a big hurdle for the movie.

7/10

Alice in Wonderland (1951)
This is one of the most fun adaptations of the story and legitimately showcases the drawbacks of getting what you wished for: being in a mad, imaginative world where nothing makes sense might seem fun for a second but it is potentially quite frightening as a concept because of the set-up of getting lost in the dreamworld of your own mind. Alice in this version is a quite charming character and the visual strangeness of Wonderland is a good showcase for the animators' creativity.

8/10

Master Virgo wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 5:50 pm
I think Inside Out and Toy Story 3 remain as the only masterpieces by Pixar this decade.
Yes.

Paddington 2: I've been sleeping on this one for some time despite its excellent reviews mainly because the first one just didn't work for me. This was much better due to Hugh Grant's drollish turn as the villain, and a master of disguise, as well as increasingly complex comic routines. Paddington the Bear of course remains a character you always root for since he always tries to do the right thing, and sees the best in people. This is also where my slight dissatisfaction with the movie comes from. There is nothing wrong with Paddington being this inspirational character, and he could teach us a thing or two, but I always roll my eye when another additional character shows up whose life it seems has been transformed by Paddington. It's easy to remain good when your efforts continually pay-off, and much harder when you meet resistance at every turn; consequently, I'd have liked to see a Paddington movie where he remains true to himself despite having negligible impact on his community. The fact that the only forms of vice this movie sees as incorrigible are the generational kind, and bigotry, stems from this simplicity.

The Kindergarten Teacher: Maggie Gyllenhaal is the sociopath you love to hate in this remake of the 2014 Israeli film of the same name. She plays a Kindergarten teacher, Lisa Spinelli, and also dabbles in poetry, who one day overhears one of her students - five year old Jimmy - reciting a poem, before realizing that he might be a prodigy. Battling against a society that seems reticent to appreciate genius - from Jimmy's babysitter's casual dismissal of his talents, to his father prioritizing baseball over a poetry recital, and wanting his son to have a normal life, and eventually a heartbreaking final scene - and spurred on by her own inadequacy, her dull marriage, and her children's "lack of curiosity", Lisa is determined to nurture Jimmy's talents, twice making reference to Mozart, and even going against Jimmy's father as well as what might be best for Jimmy as a person. You can add this to the canon of movies that take a peek at the dark side of genius, at how sometimes the benefits to society belie the cost to the individual, and to what extent we should appreciate it when sometimes the process is this destructive.

Watched Jedi for the third time. Meant to see it in its anniversary, but couldn't find the time. Still in awe of what Johnson has managed to accomplish here. Three things that come to mind, probably controversial.

1. For my money the best acted Star Wars film yet. The three best performances in the film are in this order: Driver, Serkis, Hamill.

2. Holdo's theme is absolutely one of the best pieces that Williams has ever written for Star Wars. Odd how it's not in the end credits. The new music here overall is almost as good as Awakens.

3. Throne room fight scene stands shoulder to shoulder with Cloud City and Darth Maul fight scenes as the three best lightsabre fights in the franchise. Cinematically speaking only, it's the best of the bunch.£

I popped in Batman Returns the other night, which is one of my favorite Christmas movies as well as, in my opinion, the best of the pre-Nolan Batman flicks. The whole cast is great, but Michelle Pfeiffer is the MVP.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 7:32 am
Watched Jedi for the third time. Meant to see it in its anniversary, but couldn't find the time. Still in awe of what Johnson has managed to accomplish here. Three things that come to mind, probably controversial.

1. For my money the best acted Star Wars film yet. The three best performances in the film are in this order: Driver, Serkis, Hamill.

2. Holdo's theme is absolutely one of the best pieces that Williams has ever written for Star Wars. Odd how it's not in the end credits. The new music here overall is almost as good as Awakens.

3. Throne room fight scene stands shoulder to shoulder with Cloud City and Darth Maul fight scenes as the three best lightsabre fights in the franchise. Cinematically speaking only, it's the best of the bunch.£
I have trouble ranking the throne room fight that high by virtue of how short it is.

-Vader