Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The House That Jack Built

I actually enjoyed this quite a bit. Solid Trier if you ask me.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
One of the best of the year. Go see it even if you're skeptical.

perfection

very glad to have seen this in 4K on the big screen, it was pure bliss

Solo con tu pareja

Still on my Roma high, I decided to check Cuaron's obscure debut... and wtf this is absolutely terrible, misogynist and completely unfunny for a comedy. The ''having sex with two woman at the same time'' joke runs forever.

I can't believe the guy who made such a feminist masterpiece with Y Tu Mama Tambien made such a piece of macho trash ten years earlier lol.

It looks beautiful though. Great Lubezki-Cuaron green period cinematography.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 9:32 pm
Solo con tu pareja

Still on my Roma high, I decided to check Cuaron's obscure debut... and wtf this is absolutely terrible, misogynist and completely unfunny for a comedy. The ''having sex with two woman at the same time'' joke runs forever.

I can't believe the guy who made such a feminist masterpiece with Y Tu Mama Tambien made such a piece of macho trash ten years earlier lol.

Just shows that he's grown as a person. We've all held bad opinions at some points in time, but hopefully we grow out of them as time goes on. Based on Cauron's work after his debut, he certainly has. Thank goodness for that.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 9:32 pm
Solo con tu pareja

Interesting that you bring up his first movie which I hadn't heard of. I was watching a clip of the THR Directors roundtable and they ask each director which movie they weren't proud of and Cuaron mentioned Great Expectations. It's funny he didn't mention this movie. Maybe he did and they just didn't show it in that clip.

Or maybe he's pretty proud of it for what it is. He should be, it's a decent little film.

The House That Jack Built
Director : Lars Von Trier
Year : 2018

Oh Von Trier you really are the anti-Tarkovsky.
The symbolism's (Notably paintings and poems from the great William Blake) ,metaphors,references all fusing together to make this abstract character piece be as unnerving,awe inspiring and unsavoury as one could imagine a film detailing the rise of a serial killer,played with a pretentious dead-eyed confidence from its lead Matt Dillon,who we really should see more of.

One of the very few Directors nowadays that can still elicit various emotions from his audience.Emotions that more often than not don't want to come out.

★★★★

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Director : Ethan and Joel Coen
Year : 2018

The Coen's once again create a enjoyable chirpy,quirky and at times a emotionally poignant film revolving around the unassuming nature of the Wild West with 6 various short stories all carrying their own identity and charm, with All Gold Canyon being my particular favourite.

★★★★

Assassination Nation

turned it off after 15 minutes, rated it .5 stars on letterboxd and wrote a one sentence meme review 8-)

Artemis wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 9:51 pm
Assassination Nation

turned it off after 15 minutes, rated it .5 stars on letterboxd and wrote a one sentence meme review 8-)
I don't think I've ever turned off a movie after 15 minutes. Well except maybe one of those Pirates of the Caribbean movies but I usually try to give a movie a chance.