Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So... While I don't think this was poorly directed, it just is too much of the same concept. Cameron did such a good job with his sequel, I mean sure he re-enacted some things too but he expanded upon the mythos and he just made an exhilarating ride out of it. I know this one had a troubled production, but the final result just... is what it is...

This has some very good so bad it's good scenes in it but overall, it's actually pretty painful to watch. It's such a dull script and the look of the film... Alien 3 had some sense of style all throughout but this is just too much. There's so.much.fucking.brown and it's not even pretty to look at here.
Sure, the aliens themselves are actually pretty fun (sans albino alien of course) and Weaver seems to have had a whole lot of fun playing this... Extraction (lol) from Ripley.

It's just a real pity we never got an Alien 3 in the same way Cameron managed to continue and expand upon the mythos. The first two are classics, these two never came close to that.

It's definitely the darker take than what we're used from Disney. While that's not a bad thing in and on itself I didn't think that Serkis managed to gave this a whole lot of heart. Which is a pity, because the take on bringing the animals to life, for instance, was great. It takes some time to get used to them, but when you do, it's pretty damn good. Bale is the MVP, Blanchett and Cumberbatch did very well too. Chand was a proper Mowgli imo.

Been wanting to watch this for quite some time. It was different than what I expected, because I thought this was going to be incredibly quickly paced and that wasn't the case. Still though, I liked it.

Aquaman
I can't say much but I enjoy it a LOT.

Interstellar

Still the best movie I've ever seen even with this being my nth viewing

Watched Suspiria (1977) to prep for Guadagnino’s version later today. It’s my first Argento film, and I have to say I certainly understand it’s iconic status. The soundtrack and visual aesthetic of this is stunning, and the score made me feel uneasy from the very first moment - definitely the scariest element of the film for me. I guess this seems to be more intended to ‘experience’ on a sensory level and leave it at that, as it’s really just not the most plot driven film. The story is so secondary, it actually left me wondering whether there was anything underneath its surface. The acting is schlocky, adding to that grandiose and over the top tone. Do I like it? I actually don’t know, tbh. I can absolutely recognize and appreciate everything it stands and means for cinema, but it didn’t really speak to me the way I hoped. So I’ll reserve my final judgements until after I’ve seen the new one. But I’m a fan of the surreal atmosphere of this, really unique and mesmerizing.

ruth are you a lynch gal?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 11:33 pm
ruth are you a lynch gal?

-Vader
hmmm. idk, maybe? i haven’t yet finished twin peaks, because i have this shitty habit of dropping tv shows i start binging (has nothing to do with the show’s quality or how i like it), but i really liked what i got to see. and i saw mulholland drive like a million years ago when i probably paid zero attention to it, so can’t really comment on it much, but it looks like something i’d probably like

Sabrina (1954): This was a delightful romantic comedy. Billy Wilder knows how to set up the stakes really well, the dialogue is witty, the jokes always land and the main actors (Audrey Hepburn first and foremost) give excellent performances

9/10

The China Syndrome (1979): The first film starring Jane Fonda I have ever seen and it's an excellent showcase of her acting skills and I always enjoy seeing Michael Douglas in a film that tackles some political issues that have not gone away. But Jack Lemmon gives a very nuanced and intense performance here and his Oscar nomination was well-deserved. It is my understanding that just 12 days following the release of the film at the time, the Three Mile Island accident occurred.

9/10

Brave (2012): This is not a great animated classic but it is an unconventional fantasy film, I'll give it that and the characters are enjoyable but it often feels like elements get introduced too quickly or are not explored to their maximum potential, except for the interactions between Merida and her mother. Billy Connolly is lots of fun as the king and the ending is rather moving because you believe in the characters but the pacing is just all over the place at times. And when you think of medieval fantasy, you expect something a bit more epic imo.

7/10

ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 7:36 am
Roma, which is of course wonderful. Strong Renoir overtones smushed with Fellini. A bit of Dreyer in there for good measure IMO although maybe I'm off-base.

Loved the nods back to Cuaron's previous films, particularly the Azkaban one.

Very dramatic showing at the Astor, with an audience member fainting and needing medical attention after that scene.
I remembered that post seeing it and spotted most of them but what was Azkaban ?
The multiple clocks shot?

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 10:46 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 7:36 am
Roma, which is of course wonderful. Strong Renoir overtones smushed with Fellini. A bit of Dreyer in there for good measure IMO although maybe I'm off-base.

Loved the nods back to Cuaron's previous films, particularly the Azkaban one.

Very dramatic showing at the Astor, with an audience member fainting and needing medical attention after that scene.
I remembered that post seeing it and spotted most of them but what was Azkaban ?
The multiple clocks shot?
Car squeezing in between the other two cars at the intersection.

oh shit you're right

i am going to watch Roma many times

-Vader