Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 12:31 pm
Have you seen Everybody Wants Some, Blair?£
Nope. It's one I have on iTunes, but I keep putting it off.

Such a shame. Wish you would have been introduced to Deutch and Powell with that one. Part if its charm is in audience not knowing any of those actors beforehand.£

Nomis wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 8:09 am
Hitchcock getting closer to his mastery. So strange to see films made during the war, being about the war. I thought this was a very nice suspense story.
Most underrated Hitchcock after The Wrong Man.

A private war

This was pretty strong. I would say Pike rivals Dern in The Tale for best female performance of the year for me. She is fantastic.

Durden wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:00 pm
A private war

This was pretty strong. I would say Pike rivals Dern in The Tale for best female performance of the year for me. She is fantastic.
What about Mulligan? I thought you were incredibly impressed based on your reaction. Also, how was Richardson’s photography here? Rare to see him do a smaller film like this I feel.

Allstar wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:34 pm
Durden wrote:
A private war

What about Mulligan? I thought you were incredibly impressed based on your reaction. Also, how was Richardson’s photography here? Rare to see him do a smaller film like this I feel.
I would put Mulligan 3rd or 4th with Davis. Feels like Pike has more to work with though. She is front and center here and lights up the screen. The films photogrpahy is beautiful. War scenes are intense and several shots throughout stand out. It definitely elevates the film and worthy of nomination.

Durden wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Allstar wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:34 pm
Durden wrote:
A private war

I would put Mulligan 3rd or 4th with Davis. Feels like Pike has more to work with though. She is front and center here and lights up the screen. The films photogrpahy is beautiful. War scenes are intense and several shots throughout stand out. It definitely elevates the film and worthy of nomination.
Nice... it’s kind of a shame Pike didn’t blow up more working with top directors post Gone Girl but it’s good to see how acclaimed her work is in this.

I enjoyed her performance in Hostiles quite a bit as well.

Durden wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:53 pm
She was amazing in Hostiles. That film was pretty damn good. I think if it came out during Oscar season it would have been seen by more people.

Artemis wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:56 pm
Durden wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:53 pm
She was amazing in Hostiles. That film was pretty damn good. I think if it came out during Oscar season it would have been seen by more people.
It did come out during award season though. December release. I think the subject and middling reviews are why it wasn’t really seen.