Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Widely different than what I expected. I wasn't aware it was based on something that actually happened. It's just so bizarre. I think the directing was the best aspect of this film. It's so incredible focused, it never deviates.

Dunkirk

Just as good if not better on 2nd viewing. I actually might've enjoyed it a bit more than my first viewing.

Logan
it was good.

All That Jazz

Excellent film. Hooked me from the beginning, and the turns this movie takes really impressed me.

This was quite fine imo. Stellar performances of Pine, Taylor-Johnson*, Pugh, Dillane and Howle**. Production value was top notch, it was very violent and honestly, I don't get why people are so obsessed with the minimal amount of nudity this showed I mean lol
*Aaron has really proven himself to be a versatile actor. I loved his performance in Nocturnal Animals and he went full in with this, loved it
**I knew I remembered his face from somewhere lol, Nolan has a knack for casting talent, even in minor roles.

Been wanting to watch this for ages. It's a fine story, at times too melodramatic for me, but they easily could've cut half an hour of this. Binoche was fantastic.

Burn After Reading

This was way better than I figured it'd be.

Suspiria (2018)

Entrancing, but not flawless.

Finished the first half. It's my first Kurosawa film. It's awesome. For me, it's the characters that make this an incredibly engrossing film to watch, seeing how they all come together and how they interact with the village. The music is quite something as well. Can't wait to see what unfolds in the second half.

I always found Seven Samurai a bit overrated. It's good but that's about it. Maybe because it's been remade, rebooted, referenced, etc, and it just doesn't feel that interesting nowadays. Then again, his best movie, Throne of Blood, is also obviously not original and it's fascinating to watch. I also liked Rashomon and Ran a lot more than Seven Samurai. I need to watch Yojimbo but I'm afraid I will have similar issues with it as with SS.

seven samurai is one the few 'life-affirmingly-good' movies in that its so well done it improves your outlook on humanity and inspires you to be more creative

KES

This was good but
That ending tho

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 12:26 pm
seven samurai is one the few 'life-affirmingly-good' movies in that its so well done it improves your outlook on humanity and inspires you to be more creative
yeah.

i showed it to a dozen of my friends like 5 years ago and they all fucking loved it

like, most of these guys wouldn't be caught dead watching a b&w foreign movie that's half a century old, one did 2 tours overseas, one was the pres of a frat, one manages mutual funds, etc

and they loved it keith, they loved it

-Vader