Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
22 screenings later, film festival week is over. I'm so glad I decided to try and see as many as possible, there were so many pleasant surprises I originally would have missed. I'll give my two cents on some of them.

Capernaum (10/10)
Haven't cried so much in a theater in a long time. Everything about this movie was beautiful and painful at the same time. This is undoubtedly the best movie I've seen this year so far.

Cold War (9.2/10)
Just brilliant. Slightly confusing at the beginning, maybe that's just me though. Honestly this deserves an Oscar for the music.

The Favourite (7.5/10)
A lot of people might disagree with me on this. But to me, The Favourite is this year's Darkest Hour. It's well made and contains some pretty good performances, but the story is forgettable.

Wildlife (7.7/10)
Much like The Favourite, but the story intrigued me more. Mulligan is amazing and Oxenbould does a great job as well. Jake isn't that much in it, but obviously great whenever he's in front of the camera. Dano is definitely going places.

The Insult (9/10)
This was nominated at the Oscars this year, but it’s still not out in a lot of places. Great movie, and the best score of the entire festival for me. Really worth checking out.

The House That Jack Built (6.7/10)
Dug the story, but I still can't stand Von Trier's filmmaking style.

Dogman (8/10)
Funny shit.

First Reformed (7/10)
Super intriguing story, shitty ending that kinda ruined it for me.

American Animals (8.5/10)
I completely loved the style of this movie. The editing and the pacing really made my heart beat as fast as it did like when I first saw Dunkirk in theaters.

Mandy (6.5/10)
Sorry, not for me. Great style though, and a brilliant final soundtrack from Johansson.

if you're watching a Yorgos Lanthimos movie for "the story" you may be watching it incorrectly

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 6:59 pm
if you're watching a Yorgos Lanthimos movie for "the story" you may be watching it incorrectly

LelekPL wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 3:11 am
Vader182 wrote:
He’s correct.

Not really, no. Let's just start by saying there's really no one way t watch a movie... People can judge them anyway they want. Second of all, filmmakers are storytellers. Whether their stories are more visual, lyrical or musical is irrelevant. So it's more than appropriate to judge a movie based on how it captured your interest if somebody wants to. Vader can look at pretty pictures all he wants and he's not wrong for it but he can also shut up and not tell other people how to watch films.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I didn't watch it for any other reason other than that I heard it was good. And it was. Just not that great in my opinion.

Also, The Lobster had a story that intrigued me. The Favourite is just well made Oscar bait.

LelekPL wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 3:21 am
Not really, no. Let's just start by saying there's really no one way t watch a movie... People can judge them anyway they want. Second of all, filmmakers are storytellers. Whether their stories are more visual, lyrical or musical is irrelevant. So it's more than appropriate to judge a movie based on how it captured your interest if somebody wants to. Vader can look at pretty pictures all he wants and he's not wrong for it but he can also shut up and not tell other people how to watch films.
There is so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start. Do you even know what a forum is?£

Being a forum member is about sharing opinions and views on things. Trying to discredit somebody else's is just being a dick.

clap👏ur👏hands👏if👏ure👏an👏elitist🙏

A Star is Born (2018)

10/10

Cooper is the best artist of his generation. FACT$ only bruh