Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
"pre-Gosling" might be the best modern day description you could give William Hurt. He has that certain quality. I'm quite interested in the '96 Jane Eyre tbh, just for Hurt and Gainsbourgh, so I think I'll check it out anyway :P But I don't think very soon, I'm more than satisfied with Fukunaga's adaptation for now.

BBC's version from 2006 is by far the best adaptation. I don't like Stevenson's take, even though Welles is perfect for the role. It's the other way around with the 1997 one, as in Morton is absolutely right for Jane, but the rest is not on her level and Hinds is dead wrong for Rochester.£

American Psycho because I no longer have the time and patience to pick a movie I haven't seen before.

It's a sad way to live, really

Really good soundtrack and a good movie overall.

ChristNolan wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 7:49 pm
American Psycho because I no longer have the time and patience to pick a movie I haven't seen before.

It's a sad way to live, really
Have you seen the new remaster? They say it's pretty good.

Watched Alien for the first time on blu ray..realized how awesome and perfect this movie is..so suspenseful, the crew are all characters, the score, cinematography, direction are fantastic, not overly gory as well..just love the beginning when they first see the engineer in his chair..its like WTF is that..goddamn I love this movie.

Blackkklansman (2018)

I'd probably give it 8/10.

The Sea Hawk (1940)

Wow what a film. Everything here is just off the charts. Story, characters, plot twists, romance, action, all perfect. Korngold's score goes brilliantly with the entire film. I feel ashamed I did not know about him at all. And it's not a hyperbole if I say it's as good as The Adventures of Robin Hood. Michael Curtiz was definitely way more than a director for hire. Absolutely stunning cinema.

5/5

On the Town (1949)

A good warm up for Donen and Kelly before Singin' in the Rain. Actually it's a pretty fun film and only towards the end it starts to slightly drag. And it was beautifully photographed. Quite enjoyable film overall.

4/5

Love is colder than death (1969)

First Fassbinder film I disliked. Poor imitation of Godard. And he threw a bit of Melville also in the mix.

2/5

The Spy in Black (1938)

Powell's first collaboration with Pressburger. A lot is going on in this WW1 film than it initially seems, both in terms of characters and plot. Conrad Veidt's performance is the anchor of the film.

4/5

Benzilla wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 1:13 pm
Watched Alien for the first time on blu ray..realized how awesome and perfect this movie is..so suspenseful, the crew are all characters, the score, cinematography, direction are fantastic, not overly gory as well..just love the beginning when they first see the engineer in his chair..its like WTF is that..goddamn I love this movie.
It's perfect. I love the remasters, especially Aliens has been remastered very well. It looked rather bad before lol. I'm going to re-watch Alien/Aliens soon, definitely my favourite Alien films.

This was fantastic.