Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 3:46 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 2:43 am
BlairCo wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 12:26 am
And if it's a movie I am supposed to watch a second time to understand it better...
Hi, my name is Christopher Nolan.
I've never been confused by anything that Nolan has done in terms of storytelling. There are some things I've needed time to wrap my head around, but he's never done anything that made me feel lost.
Well then, you are apparently speaking for yourself the entire way through here. The Usual Suspects certainly had a narrative which contained information overload, but I was not lost within the film's construct.

Surprising as the ending was though, I still sit here to this day and wonder if it makes for a really good ending all told. I mean technically any film could do that, if you know what I mean. Just because they chose to do that with this film hopefully isn't the reason it is so well received. I like the flick, don't love it, but I love its cast and the movie definitely is memorable for me.

Didn't ever need a re-watch for anything else other than simply liking the film and looking for clues leading up to the ending (which again, there aren't too many because there didn't have to be; they pull the rug out from underneath you). Same thing with a film like Hereditary, which I just watched. I understood it all, but upon reflecting I'm sitting back and realizing there were many clues along the way (not for the film's context, but basically the themes within the filmmaking itself) and it makes me want to see it again even though I didn't necessarily love the film.

For the record, since The Dark Knight there hasn't been a Nolan film that I liked more on the first viewing than I did the second viewing. After I experience it the first time, I'm kind of just always "in the present" and soaking things in as best I can... I'm able to follow along just fine so I'm not lost, but I don't get to fully engage in the film as Nolan intended. After sleeping on it for a couple of days then returning to the theater for that second viewing, I fall madly in love with it and even feel it between its legs. The great Christopher Nolan makes films that necessitate a second viewing for this kind of effect, and I consider that to be a compliment rather than a knock.

I know you aren't saying the exact same thing regarding The Usual Suspects, but frankly there are a lot more confusing films out there that I can't grasp no matter how many times I watch it. Some are just far too convoluted for their liking. I don't know if TUS falls in that category.

Same thing with Interstellar imo, because you know the plot when you watch it for the second time you pick up all the clues, especially in the first act.

AKIRA
Director : Katsuhiro Otomo
Year : 1988

AKIIIRRRAAAAAAAAA!
Everyone shouts in AKIIIRRRAAAAAAAAAA!
TETSUOOOOOOOO !
KANEEEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !
KAIIIII !

Still, will never tire of watching and reading anything related to Otomo's disturbingly surreal post-apocalyptic manga and anime masterpiece.

Will likely watch again this year with subtitles.
★★★★½

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Besides the the color grading, bedroom raptors and the dinosaur on the dock, I'm so disappointed. Bayona can definitely deliver and there were so many times he could have done that, but this screenplay is so god awful. I'm shocked at how bad this is. The set-up for the next movie is interesting but how it got there was unbelievably terrible. Maybe 2/5

The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

One of my favourite films of all time and I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen today. No, I have not read the book this was based on but the film is an excellent example of George Miller's vibrant directing style and all of the main cast give terrific performances. The music by John Williams is distinct and at times funny, at times eerie and foreboding.

The film, for those who have yet to see it, is about three single women (Susan Saradon, Cher and Michelle Pfeiffer) who are bored of their dreary small town lives in Eastwick when out of nowhere a strange and mysterious gentleman (Jack Nicholson) appears and starts to get involved in their lives.

The film handles its themes very well, whilst never beating you over the head with a message. It rather allows the characters to take centre-stage and their interactions are a lot of fun to watch and the dialogue is witty and engaging. The sound and music are also wonderful and the effects are mostly practical, which is why to me they still hold up.

9/10

Yeah this was pretty dope. Olivier the MVP

Rebecca is indeed quality.

Children Of Men (Re-watch)
Director : Alfonso Cuarón
Year : 2006

The most powerful aspect of Cuarón's fantastic adaption of Children Of Men is the fact you can imagine this depressing dystopian world becoming a reality.
★★★★

I dont know why but whenever I've seen Rebecca I always expect a big psychological twist where the main character is Rebecca and she just forgot due to Insomnia or something.

Like some Nolanesque shit

...but there is a huge twist anyway

This is the first movie in a long time that I'm giving 5/5 to. This movie is perfection. I was not expecting to wallop me with that amount of emotion. The journey that Travis goes on to do right for his kid, having to tackle his demons in order make things right, it dived deep into so many layers of emotion that I was no prepared for. None of the dialogue tries to dress this movie up, nor does the cinematography try to do anything cool or experimental to lend some style; this movie is so sharply focused in knowing what it wants to be. Pure and utter movie magic.