Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LOL this movie

the VFX looked pretty damn good though (aside from some horrid green screen shots at the end). It actually made me more excited for Godzilla 2 lol

Johnny Guitar

Absolutely terrific. So this is what happens when powerhouse like Ray delves in Westerns. So many both narrative and thematic layers going on simultaneously. There's even a scene extremely relevant to xenophobia in today's age. Don't know much about Mercedes McCambridge, but she totally kills it as the villain. Finally I get it why Godard said Cinema is Nicholas Ray.

This was so sweet and full of hope. And pure 80s. Virgina Madsen is such a stunner, wonderful actress.

Heat

Al Pacino, more like Ham Pacino amirite

seriously though, this was fucking fantastic on the big screen in 35mm.

spade wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Johnny Guitar

Absolutely terrific. So this is what happens when powerhouse like Ray delves in Westerns. So many both narrative and thematic layers going on simultaneously. There's even a scene extremely relevant to xenophobia in today's age. Don't know much about Mercedes McCambridge, but she totally kills it as the villain. Finally I get it why Godard said Cinema is Nicholas Ray.
Fantastic film.

I've still not seen Johnny Guitar but McCambridge was consistently solid. See: All the King's Men (awful film but she's great), Giant and, well, the voice of Pazuzu in The Exorcist. Also a solid key role in Suddenly, Last Summer.

Alien Covenant
Director: Ridley Scott

Well,the themes are interesting and Fassbender continues to do what the hell he likes with David to entertaining effect.

As is the case with Ridley the general design of the film is its greatest strength. The interior and exterior of the set designs are done with so much love and attention that the overflow of references would likely make my head explode.But unfortunately ,minor Karine (the only likeable character in the film and one who was killed off far too soon) ,the human characters are utterly bland and unsympathetic ,or in Danny McBride's case as the chief Pilot Tennessee,bloody annoying.

So naturally as most of the characters were picked off one by one it didn't take me long to side with Team David and friends,which was the only aspect of the film I was getting any enjoyment from and even then that didn't last long.

★★

Isle Of Dogs
Wes Anderson
★★★
(re-watch) Blowout
Brian De Palma
★★★★
Duel
Steven Spielberg
★★★★
Alien Covenant
Ridley Scott
★★
The Train
John Frankenheimer
★★★★

Watching Poltergeist (1982) for the first time tonight.It's long been on my list of horror films I've been wanting to check out.

Kung Fu Panda- 8/10
Still great.

Kung Fu Panda 2- 7.5/10
Not as good as the first one. But Shen was great though.

A Quiet Place 6.5/10

Cool concept but pretty bad of pulling it off. How the heck this movie got a high 95% on Rotten? If Prometheus couldn't get away for laughable bad science how this one got a pass?
Why did the dad committed suicide? Why don't the dad have any noise electonic(s) decode? Seems like a smart guy but come off pretty stupid at the beginning and end.
There's just so many problem I have with this movie that I can write a book about. I usually a guy that can suspense my disbelief but this movie just make me question so many things that took me right out of the movie by the end.