Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This was fantastic. I loved the story, it's warm and real. The two lead performances were very strong and they had amazing chemistry. Definitely recommended.
oh and that Secareanu is one handsome man, too

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I thought the film was pretty good. I think I liked it more than Force Awakens. It was more ambitious and interesting, I appreciated that. There were some pacing issues but overall I was satisfied.

8.5/10

Nomis wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 7:17 pm
This was fantastic. I loved the story, it's warm and real. The two lead performances were very strong and they had amazing chemistry. Definitely recommended.
oh and that Secareanu is one handsome man, too

Paris, Texas (1984)
Caught a chance to see this on the big screen. Beautiful film. I've been reflecting over the past few days about this though, and I can't really make up my mind if I REALLY like it or if there was something that, for the lack of better words, left me a little disconnected from the emotion of the story. I'd read how this "ripped people's hearts apart" and so on, and while I totally get it, I'm just not really sure if I felt it. The photography of this, the colors though, ooo man. The soundtrack was a bit repetitive and monotonous, and kinda unfittin at certain moments. I feel like I might grow to cherish this movie more with repeated viewings.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
Have never seen a Lanthimos film, but I'm sooo down for whatever he makes from now on (been interested in this one since the trailers dropped and everybody talked about how great/weird the Lobster was). That's one weird, disturbing and hilarious movie. Found the hint to a certain Greek tragedy to be a tad ham-fisted by characters literally mentioning it (but maybe that was the point). This induced so much laughter, followed by immediate awkwardness. The atmosphere was soooo my kinda thing. The acting was super fitting lol.

That costume design holy shit, this film was gorgeous all around (ok minus the obvious CG) and had pretty stellar performances of Gong Li (so gorgeous) and Chow Yun-Fat. This could've been more Lion in Winter... I think that would've improved the film. Either way, quite the lush visuals damn.

This was fun, I didn't expect the story to go this way, thought it would've been more action-oriented, but I think it was all the better for it that it didn't. Mikkelsen my boy :twothumbsup:

Game Night-

Hilarious, clever script... surprisingly good filmmaking for a mainstream comedy and dope Cliff Martinez score. Cast is ace, in particular Plemmons and Chandler. McAdams dancing to “Semi Charmed Life” using a gun as a microphone might have gave me the biggest smirk though.

Game Night was good funny.

Deadpool 2 (2018)

Did not get bored at all, but these films waste Deadpool. Far more could be done with the character. Clearly Leitch has not got the action chops in him unlike Stahelski. Can't wait for Wick 3.
3/5

Solo (2018)

A terrible bore.
2/5

A Touch of Zen (1971)

The flm in which King Hu mastered the art. Epic in scope and covers plethora of themes/genres without feeling overstuffed. Visually as graceful as any film handling martial arts can be.
4.5/5

Cinema Paradiso (1988)

Movie tailor-made for cinema lovers like us with a huge beating heart. Slightly stretched towards the end though and full of sentimental wallops throughout.
4.5/5

spade wrote:
May 29th, 2018, 3:19 am
A Touch of Zen (1971)

The flm in which King Hu mastered the art. Epic in scope and covers plethora of themes/genres without feeling overstuffed. Visually as graceful as any film handling martial arts can be.
4.5/5
Never heard of this one. I've been looking for Wuxia films lately, any other recs?

4N Legend wrote:
May 29th, 2018, 5:02 pm
spade wrote:
May 29th, 2018, 3:19 am
A Touch of Zen (1971)

4.5/5
Never heard of this one. I've been looking for Wuxia films lately, any other recs?
King Hu's Come Drink with me and Dragon Inn are the wuxia films to start with. I am unable to get hold of Chang Cheh's One Armed Swordsman, supposedly another wuxia classic. John Woo also dipped his toe in the genre before his gun-fu days with Last Hurrah for Chivalry.

This was impressive, powerful performances too. Definitely recommended.