The Little Mermaid (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sure, I agree with that to an extent. On one hand, I don't care, and if they made an original movie like The Little Mermaid but that was almost identical, that would appease my "OCD". But on the other hand, principally, I prefer the characters' races to be respected as they were initially envisioned, no matter the race. I'd be just as annoyed if they replaced Ben in Night Of The Living Dead with a white person, even though Ben wasn't written with race in mind.

how do I unsubscribe from threads? damn disney is littering my feed with live action remakes. :x

Zendaya is probably the best live action MJ we got so if she’s good - she’s good.

m4st4 wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 12:59 am
Zendaya is probably the best live action MJ we got so if she’s good - she’s good.
But she isn't MJ, right? Or at least, she's MJ but not Mary Jane Watson.

Redhead representation? Wow

2-6% of US population are redheads, 12% are black.

Disney has had 4 redhead princesses and only one black princess. Does that seem proportionate to you?

Let's not get into the fact that hair colour which people can easily choose to change, and skin colour are not exactly on similar levels when it comes to identity attributes.

Also... it's The Little Mermaid. I can only hope that there are no people who are annoyed by any sort of casting news regarding a film based on... The Little Mermaid.

Geoffrey wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 11:33 pm
Sure, I agree with that to an extent. On one hand, I don't care, and if they made an original movie like The Little Mermaid but that was almost identical, that would appease my "OCD". But on the other hand, principally, I prefer the characters' races to be respected as they were initially envisioned, no matter the race. I'd be just as annoyed if they replaced Ben in Night Of The Living Dead with a white person, even though Ben wasn't written with race in mind.
i would consider the context of each situation rather than having a dogmatic stance. in each case i'd think about who it benefits and who it doesn't. while dealing with issues of race especially i would try to have as much empathy as possible for others and look outside of my own comforts

Ariel's ethnicity is not an essential part of her character. They could have cast an Asian actress and it would not have made any difference either.

Pratham wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 2:54 am
m4st4 wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 12:59 am
But she isn't MJ, right? Or at least, she's MJ but not Mary Jane Watson.
She’s basically Ultimate Spidey MJ.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 3:33 am
Redhead representation? Wow

2-6% of US population are redheads, 12% are black.

Disney has had 4 redhead princesses and only one black princess. Does that seem proportionate to you?

Let's not get into the fact that hair colour which people can easily choose to change, and skin colour are not exactly on similar levels when it comes to identity attributes.
live-action redhead princesses though? People still get bullied for being redhead so even though you could change it, I would say it still is an identity attribute.