The Little Mermaid (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
but she's black!!! fucking SJWs shoving their liberal agenda even into kids movies nowadays smh

Atlanticans rise up

Do I want to read the Reddit or Facebook comments?

Looking forward to the approximately 5 million pseudo-intellectual YouTube videos about how The Little Mermaid is a "white story".

I don't see why Disney wouldn't take the opportunity to make a new movie with a uniquely black character. Say what you will about representation inequality or there not even being much in-depth story or character related to The Little Mermaid, but if a white person was cast as an iconic black character, people would utterly lose their minds. I like diversity when it fits. Jasmine shouldn't have even been played by a half-white and half-Pakistani woman, they should have been played by a full-on Arab.
Last edited by Geoffrey on July 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There you go, let it all out now.

Great contribution, as always, Master Virgo.

DoubleD wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 4:20 pm
Disney Finds 'Little Mermaid' Star in Singer Halle Bailey
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ey-1220951
she cute

hope she's a good actress and Marshall doesn't fuck up

on the other hand, this would've been a nice opportunity for redhead representation. Redheads get recast all the time.

Redhead representation lmao

go see the examples/peoples stories on reddit, they got a point

Geoffrey wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 6:10 pm
I don't see why Disney wouldn't take the opportunity to make a new movie with a uniquely black character. Say what you will about representation inequality or there not even being much in-depth story or character related to The Little Mermaid, but if a white person was cast as an iconic black character, people would utterly lose their minds. I like diversity when it fits. Jasmine shouldn't have even been played by a half-white and half-Pakistani woman, they should have been played by a full-on Arab.
At the risk of turning yet another Disney film thread into a sociopolitical debate, a story like Aladdin is a distinctively Arabic/Middle Eastern story.

There isn't much about the Little Mermaid story that is distinctively white, other the original story being written by a Dane.