The Little Mermaid (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I mean Robert Altman cast Shelley Duvall in his movies after meeting her despite her having no resume. She was never thinking of becoming an actress. Stranger things (hey that's a tv show) have happened in this industry.

And again, we haven't seen what the execs saw during the audition/screentest.

...Auli'i Carvalho, Daisy Ridley, there aren't many people in this age range with much in the way of resume. Some people just naturally have that spark, which is good enough for this role, it's not like she auditioned to play Christine in Phantom of Opera.

Skyab23 wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 2:09 pm
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 11:07 am
Skyab23 wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 9:50 am
A couple of thoughts on the recent casting decision:

First, she is apparently a decent singer, so that is a plus (although not a requirement) when playing a Disney Princess.

Secondly, and my primary issue with this casting decision is that Bailey doesn't really have a resume. There is no way that anyone could make the argument that from whatever finalists Disney chose from, that she was the most qualified. Her only real experience acting on a national level is in a tv show on FreeForm.

Disney just made a decision to cast a relative green actress in one of the most iconic princess roles in its filmography. Disney did this for one of two reasons in my mind: either they viewed her being a minority as a plus for their corporate image or she is one of the most talented actresses in the world that no one is aware of. I'll let you decide which one is most likely.

yes, casting a pop star who has acted, is well connected in the entertainment industry and has a large social media following that consists of the exact demographic this film is trying to hit is disney submitting to the PC police
If casting someone who has acted is the bar for a Disney princess, then that is an incredibly low bar. Bailey has essentially only one full-time acting credit in her entire career and that's on the Grown-ish TV show. She was likely the least qualified candidate from a resume standpoint to be considered as a Disney princess.

So again, Disney either has found one of the greatest actresses on the planet (because they sure as hell didn't cast her based on her non-existent resume) or being a minority who can sing played a large part in their decision.
Then that's a great thing!

Ruth wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 10:01 am
Actually, no. Mermaids, while especially famous within European folklore, are not exclusive to it. The first “famous” mermaid story about Atargatis falling in love with a mortal person hails from Mesopotamia.

“One Thousand and One Night” also contains tales that refer to mermaids, or fish-like people living underwater.

Mermaids have become pretty universal by now. I think it all depends on the setting. Isn’t this supposed to be set in the Caribbean?
Well Chaldeans (Mesopotamians) were white, and still not universal. I don’t care about the skin color, but bad arguments are bad. We shouldn’t have to justify anything, althoughI’m definitely against portraying historical figures in the incorrect skin color, but this is a fairy tale that doesn’t even follow the original plot.

If anyone is still mad about the casting, Freeform (the network that airs the show Grown-ish that she is on) is owned by Disney. So it makes even more sense that Ms. Bailey was cast.

Skyab23 wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 9:50 am
Secondly, and my primary issue with this casting decision is that Bailey doesn't really have a resume. There is no way that anyone could make the argument that from whatever finalists Disney chose from, that she was the most qualified. Her only real experience acting on a national level is in a tv show on FreeForm.

Disney just made a decision to cast a relative green actress in one of the most iconic princess roles in its filmography. Disney did this for one of two reasons in my mind: either they viewed her being a minority as a plus for their corporate image or she is one of the most talented actresses in the world that no one is aware of. I'll let you decide which one is most likely.
lady Gaga , Dave Bautista, Harry styles , Justin Timberlake, Daisy Ridley, Zendaya...so many more, you can’t really be this obtuse can you?

How about... and bear with me here...

She auditioned for the role.

She won the role.

Boom.gif

Lol, those fictional creatures that never existed always had white skin, didn't you know?

This entire debate is stupid and shouldn't be a problem at all except for right-wingers whining about it all the time. They need to take a big ol' glass of shut-up juice is what I say. Any person of any background and ethnicity can play a mermaid because they're fictional creatures and all you need is actors to portray them. Doesn't matter what they look like. She got the role, good for her.

Ace
Harry Styles in Talks to Play Prince Eric in Disney's Live-Action 'Little Mermaid'

Harry Styles is the latest actor to go under the sea.

The singer-turned-actor is in early negotiations to play the iconic role of Prince Eric in the studio’s live-action remake of The Little Mermaid.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... id-1224669

Oku
Disney+'s solo2001 works for Disney confirmed!

Also, that GIF of Mr. Styles chewing looks scrumptious as heck.