Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I think outside the school system those other things are really not of that much importance. At least not in the HP films.

anarchy wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 9:04 am
Nomis wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 11:20 am
How so though, IIRC the Harry Potter films stayed in England. And the magic world felt pretty lived in, there were plenty of teases to the magic world outside of England.

It's pretty nice that the first Fantastic Beasts was US based and this one will be England and France. I hope the next one takes place in an Asian country.
So much of the HP world was clearly unplanned and there are many things that don't make sense in the wizarding community, such as the currency, the population/demographics, and the school system, but I think many people considered these things trivial as they didn't affect her storytelling that much. But now that she's vastly expanding her world I think these things are going to matter more. And honestly I think she's making it worse as the FB world (pre-HP) seems much more advanced and developed than the HP world.
Those things that you mentioned aren't flaws of the original series. They work perfectly fine within the world she's built. Like what on earth would she do differently about the currency? Remember they are children's books and they're not primarily about the flaws of their own society like say Hunger Games, so there are limits to how much time she can spend explaining how everything works.

I also don't get your argument regarding difference in society between HP and FB. We know from tons of sources in the HP books and films that there are multiple wizarding societies all over the world. In FB we just learn about one we knew nothing about. I did not get the feeling at all that it was way more advanced than the British setting we're used to. If it's a bigger world that makes sense since America is a much bigger country.

The only issue with FB (which could end up being a massive one) is the premise about this scientist that all of the sudden comes out of nowhere to be the big hero, when we've barely heard about him in the original stories. But that has nothing to do with world building.

Sanchez wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:07 am
anarchy wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 9:04 am
Nomis wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 11:20 am
How so though, IIRC the Harry Potter films stayed in England. And the magic world felt pretty lived in, there were plenty of teases to the magic world outside of England.

It's pretty nice that the first Fantastic Beasts was US based and this one will be England and France. I hope the next one takes place in an Asian country.
So much of the HP world was clearly unplanned and there are many things that don't make sense in the wizarding community, such as the currency, the population/demographics, and the school system, but I think many people considered these things trivial as they didn't affect her storytelling that much. But now that she's vastly expanding her world I think these things are going to matter more. And honestly I think she's making it worse as the FB world (pre-HP) seems much more advanced and developed than the HP world.
Those things that you mentioned aren't flaws of the original series. They work perfectly fine within the world she's built. Like what on earth would she do differently about the currency? Remember they are children's books and they're not primarily about the flaws of their own society like say Hunger Games, so there are limits to how much time she can spend explaining how everything works.

I also don't get your argument regarding difference in society between HP and FB. We know from tons of sources in the HP books and films that there are multiple wizarding societies all over the world. In FB we just learn about one we knew nothing about. I did not get the feeling at all that it was way more advanced than the British setting we're used to. If it's a bigger world that makes sense since America is a much bigger country.

The only issue with FB (which could end up being a massive one) is the premise about this scientist that all of the sudden comes out of nowhere to be the big hero, when we've barely heard about him in the original stories. But that has nothing to do with world building.
Well, for one thing, there were not only one but two great 'Wizarding Wars' that went on in which a genocidal monster went around killing people, and it's hard to believe America (of all countries) wouldn't help or do something diplomatically.

And regarding the currency, to be honest I'm not extremely familiar with the lore, but if I recall correctly, every wizard in the entirety of the UK stored their money at Gringotts in the form of golden coins. Imagine going to Hogwarts carrying the load of a lot of golden coins, with no way to remotely access your money throughout the entire school year. I know she was intentionally trying to point out the incompetence and outdatedness of the wizarding world, but that is too much of a stretch for me. However once again I don't think these things matter much in her storytelling, I just think it doesn't show very meticulous planning of a fictional world.

I'm quite certain you can withdraw money from Gringotts without being there via post or via guardian. Hagrid in first book was acting on behalf of Dumbledore.

People care about odd fucking things

Nomis wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 6:52 pm
Oh, Lord, baby Nifflers! How am I going to be able to handle that? :D :clap:

if you think you're suffering from cuteness overload, just look at eddie redmayne.

Nomis wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 6:30 am
I didnt know Andy Murray was getting into acting?