Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Fass please.£
One of the coldest actors going around.
I think that's the best description I've ever read about Fassbender.

Bale would own it, but as Dumbledore? I'm sure he'd be convincing but I just have a hard time really picturing him as Dumbledore lol

I get what's being said about Harris' age, however, it'll probably take a while before Dumbledore v Grindelwald actually happens so that'd take us a couple of years on still.

Since they're already casting, I figure production on the sequel isn't that far off.

You guys are insane I'm telling you. Cold? The guy is super huggable, but whatever floats your boats I guess.

£

Tom Hiddleston would be great for Dumbledore.

People who haven't read the books don't even know who Dumbledore is anyway, because the films really didn't do the character justice. Harris was graceful but didn't get enough time to finish his work. Gambon was a totally wrong choice for the role and barely ever displayed the character's peculiar sense of humour and awkwardness. Hopefully with Rowling now in charge they will give us a worthy Dumbledore, even though this might actually be a very different version of the character in a very different period of his life.£

I still prefer Harris' Dumbledore over Gambon, but I can't say he did a bad job with the part. Even though it's not as refined as Harris' performance was.

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to see Jared Harris as Dumbledore. Imagine a big beard, long hair and you're set. The Crown showed me how tactful he can perform, he's got range. Pity of his age, give him some darker hair and he can pass for a couple of years younger.

Master Virgo wrote:People who haven't read the books don't even know who Dumbledore is anyway, because the films really didn't do the character justice. Harris was graceful but didn't get enough time to finish his work. Gambon was a totally wrong choice for the role and barely ever displayed the character's peculiar sense of humour and awkwardness. Hopefully with Rowling now in charge they will give us a worthy Dumbledore, even though this might actually be a very different version of the character in a very different period of his life.£
Gambon does alright in HBP but god was he the wrong choice in general.

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:People who haven't read the books don't even know who Dumbledore is anyway, because the films really didn't do the character justice. Harris was graceful but didn't get enough time to finish his work. Gambon was a totally wrong choice for the role and barely ever displayed the character's peculiar sense of humour and awkwardness. Hopefully with Rowling now in charge they will give us a worthy Dumbledore, even though this might actually be a very different version of the character in a very different period of his life.£
Gambon was great as Dumbledore except for Goblet of Fire. Richard Harris, who I think was good for the more wise, elder statesman Dumbledore, would have not been able to pull of the more physical story lines in the latter books. Think the battle with Voldemort, the hunting of the horcruxes, etc. Gambon did that justice. And as Vader mentioned, Gambon showed great range in HBP as both a great Wizard physically, and as a father figure of sorts to Harry.

I don't know what people were watching - Gambon is frequently fruity and odd, but also dangerous and perplexing in the ways that Rowling fashioned. Harris was kinda appropriate for the early films, and if he was 10 years younger he would have been great, but Gambon brings it. I've always been on board with it.

ArmandFancypants wrote:I don't know what people were watching - Gambon is frequently fruity and odd, but also dangerous and perplexing in the ways that Rowling fashioned. Harris was kinda appropriate for the early films, and if he was 10 years younger he would have been great, but Gambon brings it. I've always been on board with it.
^^Armand Rises.

Also, who would you recommend as a young Dumbledore?