Phantom Thread (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Bacon wrote:Anyway....Jonny Greenwood's score is probably going to be my second favorite of his here based off what I'm seeing in the trailer (You Were Never Really Here might turn out to have the better score though).

Any idea when the wide release is for this rather than a limited release?
It will expand throughout January.

PTA is not for everyone, most of his films are not easy to get into in the first place. Why are people so hostile (perhaps too strong a word but you get what I mean) towards someone or certain someones not liking his work?

Why are ever people hostile towards somebody for not liking a film?

Nomis wrote:PTA is not for everyone, most of his films are not easy to get into in the first place. Why are people so hostile (perhaps too strong a word but you get what I mean) towards someone or certain someones not liking his work?
Maybe because most of us aren't being hostile, but actually facetious. I couldn't care less if someone genuinely dislikes what I like, that doesn't mean I can't joke about it on the internet. If you hate PTA's films - ok good on you. Just please don't try to imply he actually has to "try harder" to appeal and impress you, when the guy is one of the most established filmmakers of the modern era and has already developed a very distinct style and way of making films over decades. He's got nothing left to prove lol.

Ruth wrote:
Nomis wrote:PTA is not for everyone, most of his films are not easy to get into in the first place. Why are people so hostile (perhaps too strong a word but you get what I mean) towards someone or certain someones not liking his work?
Maybe because most of us aren't being hostile, but actually facetious. I couldn't care less if someone genuinely dislikes what I like, that doesn't mean I can't joke about it on the internet. If you hate PTA's films - ok good on you. Just please don't try to imply he actually has to "try harder" to appeal and impress you, when the guy is one of the most established filmmakers of the modern era and has already developed a very distinct style and way of making films over decades. He's got nothing left to prove lol.
That's a very defensive approach. When somebody says that they don't like an established filmmaker's films, they never think he has to "prove himself". Nobody wants either PTA, or a Michael Bay for that matter, to "prove themselves". They've already established their careers. Both of them have been successful in what they do and me not liking Bay films, doesn't mean he has to prove me anything. He made more money with his films than I will in my lifetime, so he's definitely successful, nobody's denying that. With PTA and his critical success it's the same. If somebody doesn't like his movies, he doesn't "doubt his esteem" but rather suggests his tastes do not correlate with PTA's films. There's really no need for mockery (or as you call "facetiousness"). People like different things so let them be honest about it. If everybody liked PTA or Nolan movies, life would be boring.
Last edited by LelekPL on October 25th, 2017, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

His movies are hard to get into?

shauner111 wrote:His movies are hard to get into?
For some people, yes.

And with that being said, I'll still give it a chance. I want go out of my way to watch it, but I'll still give it a chance. But judging from past experiences and the look of the trailer, I'm not expecting much.

Ruth wrote:
I didn't really mean "hostile", like I clarified. Nevertheless, I do understand that for some people PTA should have to "try harder" i.e. change to appeal to them even though it might more be about appreciating his work just from a filmmaking POV. Not necessarily what he has to change. I think PTA is very talented and even though his style isn't very distinct by obvious things there's no denial that there aren't many if any filmmakers who make films like he does. I think that's quite a feat in and on itself.

PTA films are true cinema in its entirety.

LelekPL wrote:
Ruth wrote:
That's a very defensive approach. When somebody says that they don't like an established filmmaker's films, they never think he has to "prove himself". Nobody wants either PTA, or a Michael Bay for that matter, to "prove themselves". They've already established their careers. Both of them have been successful in what they do and me not liking Bay films, doesn't mean he has to prove me anything. He made more money with his films than I will in my lifetime, so he's definitely successful, nobody's denying that. With PTA and his critical success it's the same. If somebody doesn't like his movies, he doesn't "doubt his esteem" but rather suggests his tastes do not correlate with PTA's films. There's really no need for mockery (or as you call "facetiousness"). People like different things so let them be honest about it. If everybody liked PTA or Nolan movies, life would be boring.
What the fuck are you even talking about man. Like your post makes sense and it's all nice and dandy, except for the fact that I was literally talking about DD who said PTA "should try harder" lol. So it's not just him not liking his movies or style or whatever, it's him (possibly jokingly) implying a filmmaker doesn't meet his standarts of cinema. I don't even have a freaking clue why you feel the need to explain to me what people NEVER think when they don't like something as if humans weren't individuals with highly varying opinions. So maybe no, your post doesn't make that much sense, sorry.

And I wasn't mocking anyone. I'd apologize if my words offended anyone, but I don't even think I said anything terrible. Like this discussion is terribly awkward, because I don't believe anyone here to genuinely give a shit if someone on the internet doesn't like a movie or a director another person likes, people are joking about it because his work is appreciated and acclaimed by many lol.

EDIT: For the record, the only movie of his that I consider to be "harder" to get into, is the Master.