Phantom Thread (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sanchez wrote:
March 3rd, 2018, 11:07 pm
This was pretty good. Although I might have had too high expectations seeing how many had it on their top list from 2017.

Think I'll give it another shot in theaters in about a month (the screener leak was only DVD quality) and I'll try to go in with a more open mind. I might also watch some more PTA films in the meantime.

But the score and performances were off the roof the entire way through.
PTA basically requires second-viewing on all of his films to fully get into. For me, at least. Need to see this again.

I'm definitely going to see this again in 70mm

The snobbery left me feeling cold during the screening. But it does stick with you after it ends. It wasn't very enjoyable, definitely too long, but it has great performances and is technically excellent... maybe too much so, just like Woodcock (love the name)

For now, I'd say it's 6/10 but I can easily see myself give it more later.

Out of the four Oscar nominated movies I've seen over the weekend (this, The Post, Darkest Hour and Lady Bird + I also added Good Time to the mix), this is the only one that stuck with me for some reason. Even though, both The Post and Lady Bird were more enjoyable experiences.

Really excellent film. Only really the final wrap-up that prevents it from being my favorite of the year, for now. Need to see it again before I come to any conclusion. Will try to track down 70mm showing but not sure they ever made it to London.

I needed this experience to finally push the trash that was 'The Shape of Water' out of my head.

Finally seeing this tomorrow. I'm so excited. I actually made it without reading any spoilers this time lol.

Ruth wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Ruth wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 4:13 pm
I was craving mushrooms after I saw it.

Ngl same.

Cilogy wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 5:20 pm

I was craving mushrooms after I saw it.