Phantom Thread (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this beautifully rich and enchanting film.
It was a delight to watch this film in a compact cosy cinema room.Very little people = little noise of people shuffling their hands through confectionery :D .

This scene in particular will live long in the memory :

One question I had (either I don't remember or I'm just plain wrong):
Why do they dance in the same exact place after Reynolds expresses he likes her making him sick? Is it implied the exact same party happens again and he dances with her, or is it implied that it's a flashback and when he initially goes to follow her, he dances with her, but we don't see that.

i thought the latter

It's not a flashback but a flash forward. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's in Alma's head (her wish). Pay attention to her voiceover during that scene.

Bacon wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 6:49 pm
One question I had (either I don't remember or I'm just plain wrong):
Why do they dance in the same exact place after Reynolds expresses he likes her making him sick? Is it implied the exact same party happens again and he dances with her, or is it implied that it's a flashback and when he initially goes to follow her, he dances with her, but we don't see that.
My initial thinking was this though I need to watch the film again,which may be soon.

I enjoyed this film, but the lack of backstory regarding Alma's character slightly bothered me. I didn't know her at all, what was her motivation for staying with DDL's real insufferable Reynolds?

triptych wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 12:41 pm
I enjoyed this film, but the lack of backstory regarding Alma's character slightly bothered me. I didn't know her at all, what was her motivation for staying with DDL's real insufferable Reynolds?
She's slightly crazy just like he is lol

m4st4 wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 10:27 am
https://youtu.be/RXDgWxapEhQ

Lesley Manville, Vicky Krieps & Mark Bridges Speak On The Film, Phantom Thread"
pretty great interview. Krieps has an awesome personality

She's a breath of fresh air.

I rank this film among his masterpieces There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights (5/5). Just under would be Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia and The Master all tied atm (4.5/5). Then Hard Eight and Inherent Vice in last place (3.5/5).