Phantom Thread (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
They talked a lot throughout the movie though. I heard possibly more "Shhhhhs" than at any film I can remember recently.

The Taxman wrote:
January 22nd, 2018, 1:59 am
Also old people just tend to see the best shit first.

Honestly I prefer seeing a movie with an audience that skews older. Far fewer distractions, no cell phones. Plus they grew up in times when the moviegoing experience was far more relevant.

its nice.
That is correct. :thumbup:

I didn't like this movie either. As much as I loved Day Lewis performance and seeing it in 70mm, but I don't understand the buzz and hoopla. The movie is basically one very long act!

Saw this Friday morning, and I've been sitting on it since.

I would like to know the official cinematographer of this because they did a great job. Set and production design were wonderful, it really felt like the 1950's here. Very surprised that Vicky Krieps was toe to toe with DDL, that was astounding. I'm not sure that the film hit me yet. The unfolding of Reynolds stubborn self versus Alma's deviant love is enigmatic to me but it lingers. Can someone explain
The relation that Reynolds had with his mother, in depth? I get that something about it inspired his fucked up love for Alma to continue in spite of poisoning, but why exactly? I think that's what I'm missing here
I'll watch this again for sure, I'll rate it 8/10 for now. I really love this year, we've had some really dark twisted romance films like this, Killing of a Sacred Deer, and mother!

PTA Ranking:
1. Inherent Vice
2. The Master
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Phantom Thread
5. Boogie Nights
(Rest I haven't seen)

I could be misinterpreting this completely, but
he talks about how much he misses his mother and he's always got this facade going on that he's extremely strong willed. Alma sees right through that, as does his sister, and it hurts him, but when he's sick and frail and unable to be strong, he sees Alma and her loving nature and her caring for him and it reminds him of the love he wants so desperately from his mother. Not to mention that Alma states that he needs the time to wind down after certain events. It gives him a break from his persona, allows him to feel closer to his mother, and allows him to realize he needs someone.

Bacon wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 2:05 am
I could be misinterpreting this completely, but
he talks about how much he misses his mother and he's always got this facade going on that he's extremely strong willed. Alma sees right through that, as does his sister, and it hurts him, but when he's sick and frail and unable to be strong, he sees Alma and her loving nature and her caring for him and it reminds him of the love he wants so desperately from his mother. Not to mention that Alma states that he needs the time to wind down after certain events. It gives him a break from his persona, allows him to feel closer to his mother, and allows him to realize he needs someone.
it's also that
you always end up dating your parents anyway
-Vader

So what exactly was the phantom thread?

Cilogy wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 2:21 am
Darth DDL, holographic projection that is.

Cilogy wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 2:21 am
I took it as how we sometimes lock away a part or ourselves deep down. Perhaps as the result of previous painful relationships like Reynolds and his mother. As we go through life we carry all of these relationships with us, both good and bad, these phantom threads.

I got this sense of solipsism from the film in how we try to "tailor" others to meet our own expectations or match our own experiences. I love the line Reynolds says, "Heartache comes from our assumptions of others." But that's exactly what we look for in a relationship, a symbiosis.

The movie is eerily dramatic and initially felt cynical but is actually delightful and sweet. In the end I had a unexpectedly huge smile on my face and a desire for pastries. I can't stop listening to Jonny Greenwood's score.

I rate it 9/10 - DELICIOUS

The Master still remains on top for me.
But this may be a close second.

Btw, this looked super washed out in my theater. But the the trailer looks rich and lively.

Not sure which was the intended look.