Random Film News Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just a thread to post trailers or news for smaller or less mainstream films that don't really need its own thread because there will just be a lack of activity. Hopefully it will help generate some more discussion. Anyone please feel free to update anything you want.

I'll start with this:

TWO LOVERS AND A BEAR starring Dane DeHaan and Tatiana Maslany just premiered at Cannes:
DeHaan and Tatiana Maslany both have meaty, rangy roles here that are not exactly subtle but never become quite implausible either, with both of them finding a convincing middle ground between these two extremes ..
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... nes-891698
War Witch' director Kim Nguyen sets this simple and deeply resonant Canadian romance as far north as human beings can stand to live.
http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/tw ... 201777525/
A rewarding take on coupledom told with satisfying visual flair.
http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/two- ... 67.article

Quite excited for this, sounds like Like Crazy set in the North Pole.
Margot Robbie is in early negotiations to co-star with Domhnall Gleeson in Simon Curtis’ “Goodbye Christopher Robin.”

Curtis will direct the pic that revolves around “Winnie the Pooh” creator A.A. Milne and the relationship between him and his son Robin. Robin, who initially had a difficult relationship with his father, served as the inspiration for the character of Christopher Robin.

Pooh was named after Robin’s teddy bear. The real Robin’s toys also lent their names to other Winnie the Pooh characters such as Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet.

While negotiations have just started, if a deal were to close, Robbie would play Milne’s wife.

Damian Jones is producing along with former Pinewood Pictures head Steve Christian. Pathe developed the project, which will go through Jones’ first-look production pact with Fox Searchlight.

Robbie has a busy summer ahead of her, with two major tentpoles set to premiere. In July, she will play Jane in “Legend of Tarzan” for Warner Bros. and in August will play Harley Quinn in WB’s “Suicide Squad.”

Anticipation for her “Suicide Squad” role is so fervent that Warner Bros. has already begun developing a Harley Quinn spinoff film starring Robbie. She also recently co-starred in “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.”

She is repped by CAA, Management 360 and Aran Michael Management.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/margo ... 201778255/

Wasn't really that interested in this project but the pairing of Gleeson and Robbie makes me at least intrigued.

Ellen Page to star in post-zombie film The Third Wave

Academy Award nominee Ellen Page (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Juno) is to star in The Third Wave, a psychological horror film with a twist:

For six years, Europe was plagued by a devastating virus that transformed humans into zombie-like monsters. As mankind struggled to control the pandemic, the great hope of a cure was found. As the veil of darkness lifts, an unforeseen enemy surfaces in its wake: the past. The cured are haunted with the memories of their actions while infected.

The dream of reintegration has failed with a two-tiered society emerging. Many cured are shunned by their remaining families, while others hold a deep bitterness over the controls placed on them. Mixed feelings of fear, guilt and anger, as well as the government’s decision to eliminate ‘the resistant’ leads to the rise of a terrorist movement— plunging the country into chaos again…The Cure is just the Beginning.

Filming will commence on location in Ireland in late 2016.

“‘The Third Wave’ brings an entire new perspective to the zombie genre, which I love,” said Page. “David Freyne truly shifts his lens on society’s role in the apocalyptic world. I’m so grateful for this opportunity to share his thoughtful approach to horror with audiences.”

Page will star opposite rising Irish talent Sam Keeley (In the Heart of the Sea, Burnt).

David Freyne wrote the script and will direct. This project marks the Irish director’s feature debut, following a series of successful genre short films, notably The Tree, Passing and his proof of concept prequel short film The First Wave (watch it below) which sets up the world of The Third Wave brilliantly.

Tilted Pictures’ Rachael O’Kane and Rory Dungan will produce alongside Page. Bounder & Cad’s Mark Huffam and Aidan Elliott, and Bac Film’s Mathieu Robinet and David Grumbach will co-produce. The film is backed by the Irish Film Board and Bac Films.

“Ellen Page is simply one of the best actors of her generation and we cannot wait to collaborate with her in bringing this truly original and exciting genre film to life.” says Rory Dungan

“We are thrilled to be working on David’s first film. The script is such a fresh and compelling take on the genre. We know that the production team will craft an exceptional elevated horror movie in the vein of ‘Let the Right One In’ or ‘It Follows’ that will resonate with a broad audience”, says Mathieu Robinet, BAC FILMS’s General Manager.
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/6 ... 1HoXxYg.99

Really interesting concept, it is like 28 Days Later if they were able to cure and save some of the infected. What would be the repercussions of that? Definitely will keep my eye on this one.

Here's the director's prequel short film that helped get this made:

Interesting.

Cool thread. Maybe some smaller projects will get more attention.

I LIVE. I DIE. I LIVE AGAIN

lol @ Ben Kingsley

decent B movie entertainment at best.

Great article about the whole teasers-before-the-trailer thing:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/teaser-in ... ers-2016-5
"We're taking something that a director had been working on for sometimes years and we're making that first introduction, so to have this vomit of stuff before the actual trailer happens, it's something that I'm not a fan of," he continued. "There are always different trends and tropes. I don't know when this one will pass, but maybe with enough pushback it will."

holy shit
Last edited by Allstar on June 29th, 2016, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

screechy violins always make for a dope score

The german comedy Fack Ju Göhte is getting remade by Hollywood in spanish, now taking place at a spanish school.

I've seen the original and it was funny, but nothing to write home about. This looks like a 1:1 copy, down to dialogue and even shots, but in spanish. What the fuck :facepalm:

Allstar wrote:DiCaprio and Inarritu possibly re-teaming?

The financier of The Revenant was also there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... rritu.html
I am adapting Dante's Inferno and I told Leonardo to get his dainty, Italian-German ass to Hell for 14-month prep or I'll find someone more worthy of being the tool through which I deliver mi obra maestra.