You Were Never Really Here (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
guys, look, I have excuses too.

-Vader

If you have seen the film, read the book for sure. They make amazing companions.

This weekend. In cinemas.

woah

there were lots of walkouts though lol

Ruth wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 2:47 pm
woah

there were lots of walkouts though lol
you'll have to do better than that, RUTH

also same lol.

This is what I tweeted about it:
YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE is shock therapy to the revenge genre. An anti-action movie obsessed with consequence and pain, and yet equally, beauty and soul. Ramsay's precise formalism is a conduit of raw emotion and increasing visceral power. By the end it's nearly transcendent.

-Vader

I clicked the spoiler tag thinking this was The Last Jedi thread. Why would it cause that (pls answer with no spoilers)? People just expecting a standard/regular revenge thriller were disappointed or something?

Bacon wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 5:41 pm
I clicked the spoiler tag thinking this was The Last Jedi thread. Why would it cause that (pls answer with no spoilers)? People just expecting a standard/regular revenge thriller were disappointed or something?
Yea. Most likely. It’s the antithesis to what films like Taken got us used to over the years. The tension isn’t derived from action, it’s fueled by emotion, and it’s very unnerving, but if it falls flat for you, then you’re completely out. Don’t think the narrative structure is super confusing or anything like that. Dunno. Just not really a conventional film choice for an average moviegoer probably. Phoenix’s character was prob too much for some too. Some of the scenes I thought that were brilliant, I heard others laugh. I’m sure you’ll enjoy this though, Bacon.

spoiler
that moment joe fantasizes about shooting himself at the diner holy shit i legit jumped from my seat a little and covered my mouth with hands lol

So it's similar (obviously not the same) to how so many people criticized Dunkirk for being "slow paced and boring" because it wasn't the big scale they wanted it to be?

Seeing this Sunday.

Found out a tiny theater in my town is actually screening this a few times during May. Hopefully I'll get to see it.

Bacon wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 8:59 pm
So it's similar (obviously not the same) to how so many people criticized Dunkirk for being "slow paced and boring" because it wasn't the big scale they wanted it to be?

Seeing this Sunday.
noooot really exactly

-Vader