Under the Silver Lake (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This isn’t definitely not as bad as Southland but still, it’s not good

Ruth wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 4:42 pm
i haven’t seen the southland tales, but i’ve heard enough to know it sounds... not good lol.

funnily enough, i’ve also read some really good reactions to this on reddit, so i’m still curious to see whether it’s plain bad or just incredibly divisive
i love this movie but a lot of people prolly aren't gonna like it

I thought Garfield was great, but the story is kinda crap imo.

• The acting is great
• LOVED the look and atmosphere
• was surprisingly not bored at all for the most part
• funny
• understood close to nothing

Ruth wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 9:35 pm
• The acting is great
• funny
it's one of the weirdest movies of the year and in 2018 thats really saying something

i'm very very happy it exists. i'd gladly refer you to some of the articles I think best gets the movie if it helps but it is blissfully confounding ;)

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 9:46 pm
Ruth wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 9:35 pm
• The acting is great
• funny
it's one of the weirdest movies of the year and in 2018 thats really saying something

i'm very very happy it exists. i'd gladly refer you to some of the articles I think best gets the movie if it helps but it is blissfully confounding ;)

-Vader
Please do. I feel like I have a few ideas meandering in my mind, but it’s too vague for me yet. I JUST watched it, so maybe I need more time to process it. This or I’m dumb

there's some neat stuff on letterboxd I'll PM you when I have a few, but

basically it's a huge Pynchon thing with lots of meta-textual history of Hollywood things going on too

idk if its "good" but its definitely worth experiencing

-Vader

I guess if you like Lynch, this might be something in your wheelhouse. I hate these incoherent movies. It does have good cinematography and the music and editing create a noir vibe even if there's really nothing going on. So there's that if you think that's enough for you.

Watched the trailer again just now and I think I'll wait for the theatrical release.

I liked a lot of the colors and imagery and I want to see that on the big screen as opposed to my laptop/tv.

Artemis wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:48 am
Watched the trailer again just now and I think I'll wait for the theatrical release.

I liked a lot of the colors and imagery and I want to see that on the big screen as opposed to my laptop/tv.
It’s a really beautiful looking film. It may be some of the weirdest shit I’ve seen in a while, but I want to transport myself to that world for a bit lol. Unless it “ages” terribly in my memory, I might actually see this again in theaters if it gets a release here (which I reaaally doubt but still)