Maniac (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
xWhereAmI? wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 5:00 am
What I'm loving is that it does not feel like a TV show at all. Filmed very much like a feature and it comes off that way.
Exactly. Netflix have been going off the whole 'it's a 10 hour movie' thing from the very beginning but this is that concept fully realised. I'm surprised how well the separate chunks still work though - and the various fantasy sequences wouldn't nearly pack as much if they were like 5-10 mins in a 2 hour version of this.

I just gave up on Mad Men. I just can't get through season 5. Actually quite surprised I made it that far lol

Hill is painfully bland on this show.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:21 pm
do you think the golden age of tv stuff is mostly an emperor's new clothes thing or what

-Vader
To some degree. I think some of it is simply stuff that was being done by the BBC 20-30 years ago - there are just better production values now. And then I think there's the genuinely high-end stuff that I've seen such as The Wire and other 2000s HBO stuff that opened the door, and then the escapism of a GOT or The Crown.

With Fukunaga I thought at least True Detective, despite kinda being twaddle, was visually told well and had really dynamic moments, but this new thing really plods.
Thoughts on Fargo?£

Master Virgo wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 5:27 am
Thoughts on Fargo?£
n/s

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:21 pm
do you think the golden age of tv stuff is mostly an emperor's new clothes thing or what

-Vader
To some degree. I think some of it is simply stuff that was being done by the BBC 20-30 years ago - there are just better production values now. And then I think there's the genuinely high-end stuff that I've seen such as The Wire and other 2000s HBO stuff that opened the door, and then the escapism of a GOT or The Crown.

With Fukunaga I thought at least True Detective, despite kinda being twaddle, was visually told well and had really dynamic moments, but this new thing really plods.
BBC shows such as? All I have seen is House of Cards and Brideshead Revisited. First season of former was a stunner.

curious to hear as well, most likely the original run of The Prisoner and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, as a start

-Vader

I, Claudius is the granddaddy of them all, and is typically what I'm thinking of in this instance. It's just staggering and everyone should see it, provided you can get past it being shot on video and the sets wobbling.

TTSS but even moreso Smiley's People. Edge of Darkness is another.

House of Cards is great but the immediate sequel is better IMO.

Or Fawlty Towers.£

Master Virgo wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 6:53 am
Or Fawlty Towers.£
Well yeah. The realm of comedy is a whole other ball game. Blackadder, Yes, Minister, etc.