Star Wars Episode VII - The Force (Rey)Awakens (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:Rey's theme is gold and the Resistance theme is great. Maybe his weakest overall score but still, great stuff.

-Vader
man I thought the Resistance theme was incredibly uninspired and sounded like any random cue from the prequel score

Cilogy wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Rey's theme is gold and the Resistance theme is great. Maybe his weakest overall score but still, great stuff.

-Vader
man I thought the Resistance theme was incredibly uninspired and sounded like any random cue from the prequel score
Any random cue from the prequel scores is probably better. They're hardly throwaway soundtracks and you could mount a compelling argument that they're not far off the OT scores.

That being said, are there any die-cast guarantees that Williams will do VIII?

-Vader
His work on Tintin was worse, in my opinion.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Cilogy wrote:

-Vader
Any random cue from the prequel scores is probably better. They're hardly throwaway soundtracks and you could mount a compelling argument that they're not far off the OT scores.
Yes. What I mean is there is a lot of stuff in the previous Star Wars scores that is composed specifically for a certain shot or scene. While it works and it sounds great, it's not memorable nor iconic - and it doesn't have to be because it serves a specific purpose.

The Resistance theme is like one of those cues. I don't know if Williams just didn't put enough effort into coming up with exciting new themes or when asked, the filmmakers told him to "you know ... just make it Star Wars-y".

darthnazgul wrote:

-Vader
His work on Tintin was worse, in my opinion.
And Indy IV

It's call aging, the guy is not as creative as when he was in his peak and it's not surprising. Still, I agree, Rey's theme may be his best composition in years, the rest is forgettable.

Come one guys, Kylo's theme is fucking awesome and enhances his badasssery a good amount.

The whole soundtrack is worth it if only for Rey's Theme tbh.

If Williams brings something on that level to the next soundtrack then I'd be ecstatic to see him return for Episode VIII.

I really like the track: Follow Me

No one ever seems to mention that one. It's when they run to the Millennium Falcon

Crazy Eight wrote:Come one guys, Kylo's theme is fucking awesome and enhances his badasssery a good amount.
He has a theme?

ChristNolan wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:Come one guys, Kylo's theme is fucking awesome and enhances his badasssery a good amount.
He has a theme?