Predict: Movies in 2016

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Since there is a new thread, let's see how we did last year..
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Gambit and Assassin's Creed switch release dates.
Didn't happen.
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Batman V Superman has the second biggest opening weekend of all time. It also ends up as the highest grossing movie of the year and the 4th highest grossing movie of all time worldwide.
I was really wrong.
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Even though it will kill at the box office Disney will trouble selling general audiences on the idea of Star Wars spin-offs. Some people will actually not realize that they're not seeing Episode 8.
Wrong. Though it wouldn't surprise me if a few people went into Rouge One thinking it was Episode 8.
Mantis Toboggan wrote:The Secret Life of Pets will be the box office surprise of the year.
Not sure if it was the box office surprise, but I knew it would make a ton of money.
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Despite being one of the best reviewed movies of the year, War Machine won't be an oscar contender. However it will do well in the Comedy category at the Golden Globes.
Didn't even get released this year.
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Civil War will get crucified by fanboys despite massive box-office, critical acclaim, and being one the better films in the MCU.
I got the fanboy hate part wrong even if I did get everything else right.
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Warcraft will flop. However the success of Assassin's Creed and The Angry Birds Movie will be enough to kick start the video game movie trend.
Switch Warcraft and Assassin's Creed around, than I was kinda right. However they didn't kick start the trend as much as they got a few more titles in development. Hollywood will keep on trying.
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Ben-Hur has worse visual effects than the 1959 version.
I didn't see it. I have a feeling I was right though.

LelekPL wrote:
Allstar wrote:Doctor Strange will be an innovative superhero movie.
It will be advertized as a different movie, much like Winter Soldier, but it will be the exact same Marvel film we've seen over and over again, much like Winter Soldier.
I don't think it ever was advertized as a different movie. Based on the trailers it was just your run of the mill superhero film. And the film itself? I don't know, I haven't seen it.

the_red_ninja wrote:Rogue One will answer none of our questions from Episode 7.
Heehee. Was this all I cared about... :geek:

anepicmoviereviewer wrote:
anepicmoviereviewer wrote:There will be a good January movie.
Either Creed, Mad Max : Fury Road or Star Wars : The Force Awakens will get nominated for best picture.
Fassbender, DiCaprio and Damon will get nominated for Best Actor and the other two will be suprises.
Hail, Caesar will be a fantastic movie that will get several Oscar nominations.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies will be a lot of fun.
Deadpool will have a mixed reaction and start a cult following.

Triple Nine will be a great thriller.
Midnight Special will be Jeff Nichols's best movie yet.
Dawn of Justice will have a reaction similar to Man of Steel and Civil War will beat it in crticial and commerical acclaim.
Keanu (Key and Peele movie) will be the best comedy of the year.
X Men : Apocalypse will be better than Days of Future Past.
Warcraft will be adorded by those who play the game but Assassin's Creed and The Angry Birds Movie will be the big video game hits.
Conjuring 2 will be a fantastic sequel and the second best horror of the year behind The Witch.
The BFG will be another Spielberg masterpiece.
The Purge 3 will be the best in the series and actually good.
Ghostbusters will be a lot of fun.
La La Land (Chazelle's follow up to Whiplash) will be one of the best movies of the year.
Star Trek : Beyond will be not as good as Abrams' Star Treks but fun.
Bourne 5 will be great and a return to form.
Suicide Squad will be a critical and commercial hit.
Sausage Party will be hysterical and another hit for Rogen and Goldberg.
The Magnificent Seven will be one of Fuqua's best movies in years.
Inferno will be a return to form for Ron Howard.
Rogue One will be an excellent war movie set in the Star Wars universe.
Silence will be one of the best movies of the year.
Well at the beginning of 2017 -
Mad Max got a BP nom
The Oscar noms worked out
Hail Caesar was good but not great
PPZ I still haven't seen
Deadpool was actually incredibly well received and has a following
Triple Nine flopped
Midnight Special was considered pretty good
Dawn of Justice was kind of correct
Keanu was a flop
Wow at how wrong the X-Men Prediction was
Warcraft was kind of right
Angry Birds did well
AC did horrible
I really liked Conjuring 2
BFG/Purge/Ghostbusters was most likely wrong
lol at when La La Land was to be released in the summer. However the rest of that was right.
Star Trek Beyond was fun
Bourne 5 was not great but good
Suicide Squad did horrible
Sausage Party was fun and a decent sized BO hit
M7 was fun
Inferno I haven't seen
I really liked RO
Silence did get really good reviews

X-Men Apocalypse was so bad lmao

Alejandro Iñárritu wrote:
January 5th, 2016, 1:44 am
Batfan175 wrote:
DoubleD wrote: On average there are about 600 movies released each year.
Four really isn't all that many.
It's still not helping with my superhero fatigue though.
I sometimes enjoy them because they are basic and simple and go well with popcorn. The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be. I hate that, and don’t respond to those characters. They have been poison, this cultural genocide, because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.

Superheroes…just the word hero bothers me. What the fuck does that mean? It’s a false, misleading conception, the superhero. Then, the way they apply violence to it, it’s absolutely right wing. If you observe the mentality of most of those films, it’s really about people who are rich, who have power, who will do the good, who will kill the bad. Philosophically, I just don’t like them. Ultimately, it’s about nothing. It’s a package, and you open the box, and there’s another box, and another, and it doesn’t lead you to the truth.
its been 3 years and i still think about this post