Mindhunter (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:Makes me thankful that Nolan will never do a tv show.
I wouldn't mind him doing a miniseries for HBO, somewhere down the line. That's one of the few places where he can still shoot with filmstock. His brother's doing so, with Westworld.

ChrisTilford wrote:
I wouldn't mind him doing a miniseries for HBO, somewhere down the line. That's one of the few places where he can still shoot with filmstock. His brother's doing so, with Westworld.
Where did you get that idea from?

Why would HBO be more friendly towards using filmstock than any other film studio?

Yeah, Nolan should leave tv show ideas to his younger brother.

MyCocaine wrote:Where did you get that idea from?

Why would HBO be more friendly towards using filmstock than any other film studio?
Just a thought, in general. If he's really keen on doing a story that goes beyond a 3 hour runtime, long-form TV is the best option. HBO have done a lot of good work in that front (Band of Brothers, Angels in America, John Adams, The Pacific, to name a few).

A lot of people who've worked with the network have mentioned that they're very supportive of the artist's vision. Though pretty much all of TV networks have phased out film in favor of digital, HBO still allows that, if that's what a director likes to work with. Cary Fukunaga got to do so with S1's True Detective (S2, which he didn't direct, went digital). Jonah's got it for Westworld.

Ryan Murphy's another person, whom networks allow the use for stock (American Horror Story, & Scream Queens). Think it's a case of personal preference, & justification for doing so. Maybe wrong.

Nolans pretty ignorant to working in television. I dont see that happening, ever.
Allstar wrote:Can Finch go back to making something called movies?
I don't really mind if it gets him away from the unnecessary Hitchcock remake he wanted to direct with Affleck. His last two films have been disappointing for me. They're certainly not bad, but they're very average. Tattoo was another unnecessary remake that offered nothing new, and Gone Girl felt lifeless with some of the most robotic dialogue.

So if HBO lights a fire under his ass, then i'll take it. I think Fincher is in need of a change.

Well Fincher's Dragon Tattoo was a much better adaptation of the book than the Swedish film. Still hoping he'll make the other two sequels because the Swedish adaptations of those were very lacking. The books are great, pure Fincher material.

Holt McCallany has been cast as the lead in Mindhunter. This marks a second series starring role for McCallany, following his well received performance on FX’s boxing drama Lights Out, and a reunion with Fincher, his director in Alien3 and Fight Club.

Set in 1979, the TV series centers on the inquisitive and skilled FBI Agent Bill Tench (McCallany). Along with fellow serial killer investigator in the behavioral science unit, FBI agent Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff), Tench interviews serial killers to help them solve current murders. Co-starring in the series is Anna Torv as a psychologist. Reps for Netflix and McCallany had no comment.

Thought they'd get more of an A-lister for the male lead. No Theron starring in it either kinda dampens my enthusiasm. Any word on how many episodes Fincher is directing?