Mindhunter (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Started off strong but lost a little steam after episode 5. The last episode was real good, though.
The Atlanta murders were interesting but the interviewing of killers part of the show (which is the best part of the show) just disappears in the second half for the most part. Also, wish they had more for Wendy to do then love life issues.

I wonder where they are going with the BTK killer stuff. This show takes place in the early 80's and he wasn't even arrested till 2005. Unless the show does a serious time jump, I don't know where this is going.

radewart wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 3:08 am
Started off strong but lost a little steam after episode 5. The last episode was real good, though.
The Atlanta murders were interesting but the interviewing of killers part of the show (which is the best part of the show) just disappears in the second half for the most part. Also, wish they had more for Wendy to do then love life issues.

I wonder where they are going with the BTK killer stuff. This show takes place in the early 80's and he wasn't even arrested till 2005. Unless the show does a serious time jump, I don't know where this is going.
I thought the same in regards to BTK.

In regards to BTK (my phone auto corrected this to BRO omg)
I think Fincher said he has planned for 5 seasons. So maybe a time jump will happen for the last season.

There's this one part in season 2
where Ford and Tench are in the car stalking Williams and Ford is all like "he is a narcisstic know it all who thinks too highly of himself" or something along those lines and Tench gives him this look and he has this big fucking smirk on his face. I fucking died because it was so perfect and so hilarious and I remembered it at 5AM on a Thursday morning. That's how great the moment is.

Finished season 2 last night.

What a ride. I loved how immediate and urgent this season was. From the get go I really enjoyed how much more they focused on Bill and Wendy, not so much treating Holden as the main lead. I think the ensemble works much better than making one of them the clear lead. I didn't expect the story to shift towards the Atlanta murders in the latter half of the season but I really liked that they did that. It's quite the unnerving case and the 'not so much underlying' racial motives make it all the more troublesome. From both sides. That final episode might just be the best episode of the season, perhaps tied with the fifth.

Fincher, Dominik and Franklin aced it. Just like McCallaney, Torv and Groff. I really loved the look of this season. Sometimes the skin tones are a bit too yellow-y for me but overall, great work. There are numerous dimly lit scenes, which still show great detail but the daylight exterior scenes are just splendid. HDR all the way. But more importantly, I loved how much further they went in terms of staging. Like the interview with a survivor in the car, completely out of focus, or manoeuvring the camera in the final episode.

This show is just so powerful. It's commentary on those days, how all the different systems choke each other and, which I think was the best story aspect of this season, how not catching the serial killers holds up against the ones that have been caught. It's unnerving, unsettling and often depressing because it's all based on what's really happened...

I really love this show and I hope they've already begun working on season 3.

Finally finished both of the seasons. Overall love the show and cannot wait to see what’s next. This is 100% my shit. I don’t have the energy to discuss everything in detail, but an interesting thing I realized regarding the second season - its “highs” went so much higher than those of the first season for me, but its low moments went so low it almost took me out of the show at certain points. Speaking of the good goods, namely, the Atlanta murders. That, and the interview with you-know-who, is Mindhunter at its absolute peak for me. Legit found myself having to stand up from my seat because of the tension.

Speaking of the season’s lowest point (for me personally):
It’s fucking Brian. It left a bad taste in my mouth for reasons I can’t even verbalize properly, I feel like. I understand its effect on Tench and his family, whatever parallels the show creators tried to draw between Brian and Tench/Manson interview, or serials killers altogether, the nurture vs nature debate (which, somehow, makes the whole thing even worse for me). I just feel like it was such a sloppy attempt to bring drama to Tench’s personal life, and unless someone was somehow able to make me look at this from a different perspective, I view it as a complete misfire. It’s overall such a telenovela soap opera-like thing to do, for a show like this.

If Brian is meant to be understood as an argument to make people question whether good environment actually holds such power to influence someone possibly “born” (bad? broken? different?) towards a better path; or an argument to show profiling isn’t a one size fits all shoe, it just never worked for me like that. If anything, the entire show works as a slow build up for the eventual capture of BTK, someone who by all means, defied many elements of behavioral profiling (evidenced by Holden trying to quickly come up with a profile for him, and the viewer witnessing just how wrong he is), someone who is so intensely scary because of how seemingly normal he could appear - in comparison, Brian is just a (somewhat problematic, dare I say) cliche. Idk man.
Okay so the Brian rant ended up being longer than anything else I had to say about this show, but I swear to god i actually love this show

NOOOOOOOOO! Also when is his next film?