The Expanse (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Expanse is an American space opera / mystery science fiction drama television series on Syfy, based on the series of novels by James S. A. Corey. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait), and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity. The series premiered on Syfy on December 14, 2015.

The first four episodes are now online. Have to say I'm quite impressive by the VFX, sets and the worldbuilding so far. Easily the most fascinating SF show since Battlestar Galactica. And since this is based on a book series, there is less chance of quality dipping midway.. Haven't heard of the books before though, so I've no idea how good they really are.

Watched all four episodes when they came out, I have to say, I love it. Sure, it's not the most original work, but it's by in large well done and the VFX are top notch.
Probably the best thing to come out of SyFy since BSG, and definitely the most expensive.
If you're looking for a hard sci-fi space drama, I'd check this out.

Started reading the books after watching the episodes. About a third of the way through the first one so far. Good stuff.

I'm somewhere in the middle of the first book. Not because of the tv show, just wanted to read something. I knew vaguely about a tv show being made.

TV Line - Syfy's Expanse Renewed for Season 2

http://tvline.com/2015/12/31/expanse-re ... on-2-syfy/
Syfy has renewed the freshman drama from Alcon Television Group for a 13-episode Season 2, to air in early 2017.

“The Expanse is firing on all cylinders creatively, building a passionate fan base among viewers and critics alike, and delivering on Syfy’s promise of smart, provocative science fiction entertainment,” network president Dave Howe said in a statement. “We can’t wait to see where the story takes us in Season 2.”

So, is anyone else actually watching this?

Having not read the books, I found the first batch of episodes confusing. It came across like a bunch of disjointed sub-plots where these sub-plots have their own sub-plots that you have little indication of whether or not they'll be followed up on...or even if you care.

In the show's favor, it looks pretty expensive compared to a lot of other tv sci-fi fare. I like operatic space travel movies and tv shows in general so that's why I checked it out. The only actor I really knew was Thomas Jane, who I've seen in other stuff and generally liked. As for the show I like it more than last year's Syfy stinker Ascension. But on many occasions it has been a bit flat in terms of the performances and like I started out mentioning it can be confusing when it's not focused on some extended space action/battle sequence.

Well, I just finished watching the first season. Easily the best SF show since BSG. Nothing even comes close. This is hard SF at its very best.

Having read the books, I can understand why the first few episodes might seem slow. There was a lot of information to digest, and the show had to do it in a manner that wasn't exposition-heavy. So yeah, the slow pacing was a deliberate decision.

The only thing I can't understand is the point at which they ended the season. It doesn't seem like an actual ending, in fact, in many ways, it makes the whole first season more like a prologue to what happens next. They have covered about two-thirds of the first book - it would have been ideal if the show had an extended season of perhaps 14-16 episodes. Cos the remainder of the book is quite spectacular and the show could have ended with a bang.

I am a bit worried about the ratings though. The viewership numbers have fallen significantly from the premiere to the finale. Hopefully, they will rise in the second season which is scheduled to air sometime next year.

I dunno, having also read the first book (on three now), I always thought S1 would end here. I mean, the ending of the book is great, but there's no way they cpuld have put it all in one season.
I too loved it by the way.
What was your favourite episode? Mine's probably Salvage or Critical Mass.

GeneMod wrote:I dunno, having also read the first book (on three now), I always thought S1 would end here. I mean, the ending of the book is great, but there's no way they cpuld have put it all in one season.
I too loved it by the way.
What was your favourite episode? Mine's probably Salvage or Critical Mass.
Well, the last few episodes are all very strong, but Critical Mass is probably my favourite as well. :thumbup: