The Man in the High Castle (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The entire week was a bit too busy for me, so I’ll be starting it tonight.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I really liked season 4. It was a satisfying ending. Rufus Sewell was the highlight as usual, though Chelah Horsdal also had fantastic material to work with this year.

Okay, so I was only going to check back in once I’ve finished all of the show, but I had to say something after ep 7. Like, holy shit how much it makes zero sense.

Overall, I’m liking this season a lot more than S3. I used to not be overly invested in the japanese side of the plot, but it’s been very intriguing and even tense this season. I’m sad this show has come to an end. I always found that the eerie atmosphere and worldbuilding was worth it, even if the writing and plot would often times shoot itself in the foot.

Finished watching this on Friday, still haven’t yet wrapped my head around this. I don’t know what that ending scene was.

I think, ultimately, the show polluted itself way too much with overarching and elaborate subplots that were difficult to keep track of. Not because there were too many, but because the show couldn’t decide what was important and what wasn’t. There just wasn’t much focus left. There’s a lack of characters that were previously set up as crucial, but nowhere to be seen when it’s not convenient anymore. A lot of everything made little to no sense. Understandable as the show was cut short and there wasn’t nearly enough time to wrap things up properly, but here’s the kicker. It stopped making sense like a few seasons ago. Not in the “it’s an alternate reality borderline sci-fi show” sort of suspend your disbelief way, that’s absolutely necessary to enjoy this, but more so lacking basic logic in its writing. Judging as a whole series, I’m not sure if I get the endgame of it.

And there’s honestly so much to praise this show for. It’s incredibly dedicated towards building a world that has an eerie, yet entirely believable and authentic feel to it, and everything just looks mostly amazing. The acting. The characters (well, like, some of them). The overall setting and some of its ideas, no matter how potentially controversial. It just grabs you by your curiosity and pulls you in. It was ballsy enough to commit itself to properly showcasing the moral decay of its people, no matter how “good” or “bad” their alignment was. And ballsy enough to use its controversial setting to call out the traits and behaviors that are absolutely present to varying degrees in almost everyone.

Another thing I’ll give to this show is a thumbs up for properly trolling a portion of their audience with John Smith.
I have no idea how that many people ended up not seeing it coming and thus are now feeling a sense of betrayal. But like. lmao. But even with John Smith, I can’t really decide whether the show consciously used him as a genius way to criticize the bullshit “protecting my family” excuse and the banality of evil, or if they kind of didn’t know what direction they wanted to take him. But holy hell, Rufus Sewell does what I can totally think of as one of the best portrayals in TV I’ve ever seen.
Speaking of the season 4 alone, I very much loved it up until the end up episode 7. The last few I’m mixed about. I think the end is, oddly enough, both haywire and satisfying. It had moments of incredible greatness, but some of its other moments are murky enough for me to keep reconsidering my thoughts. I had a strange relationship with this show, as y’all can see lol. I’m sad it’s over though.

I think you've summed it up very well. Great acting and overall presentation but holy hell the plot is jumbled mess. Having one more season would've been better to sort out the mess (slightly) imo. Or should've moved the season 3 finale to mid-season.