Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) DEUX YOU BLEED?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I feel like they started on the wrong foot. More thought should have been put into Man of Steel. There are some great ideas at its core but a second draft would have been a huge help.

BvS was the wrong sequel plain and simple. It was like they wanted Bale to reprise his role and settled on Affleck because it was easier to sign a deal and better for the brand in the long run (i don't care what they say i believe this is what happened). Instead we have zero investment in this Superman/Batman matchup, and why? You're introducing a 45 year old Batman who has a 20 year history that we don't see, and he's pretty damaged right off the bat. He goes on a rampage but returns to his former self by the end of the film. By that point we don't care as much as we could have, if it was Bale or Affleck in his 2nd/3rd time in the suit. You introduce an asshole and then make him nice by the end, so what? You can't expect emotion from people. That's Warner Brothers saying shit like "ahh they know Batman's story, they know BATMAN, they care about him already, so they'll care!". It doesn't work that way. You're starting from scratch and you have to treat it that way. EARN it.

Same with Superman. The first movie had moments where you got behind Clark's struggle. But by the end you don't get the sense that Superman is fully developed just yet. So instead of Man of Steel 2, we jump into the Justice League prologue known as BvS.

Killing off Superman was the WRONG choice. It's not time yet. The end of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 would have been the appropriate time to pull the trigger on that. Especially since they didn't do the best job with Clark in round 2. He wasn't developed properly (mainly in the theatrical cut that most people saw). The obvious next step after MOS was lighten up Superman, don't make him darker.

BvS has some nice moments i'm not going to lie. But every MAJOR decision was ass backwards including the casting of Luthor, the choice of villain/s, which not only cluttered everything but those choices clash with the tone they were desperately trying to set up.

The film is just there. Good moments here and there but a clusterfuck that doesn't feel like a logical sequel to Superman's origin story nor a good prequel to Justice League (or Suicide Squad for that matter)...because now look at the situation. Are people emotionally invested in the major characters going into the massive Justice League? I can care less about Avengers or most of the films that preceded it but it's clear that fans were pretty attached to the majority of those characters before they sat down to enjoy that movie.

I won't hate like i usually do. Justice League could be better. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, same with Batfleck on his own. But i gotta say, these early Live by Night reviews and the idea of Mr. Joe Deathstroke as the main baddie + Leto hamming it up somewhere...it's so hard to get behind the DCEU in the way i was when Nolan or Burton were making Batman movies. That kinda sucks you know? It's the DCEU. First time ever. This expanded universe should be fun, it should be taken seriously at times, it should be emotional, it should evolve into something greater as the years go on. Maybe they pull it off but jesus Zack, try a little harder next time.

The problem (well one of many problems) is they rushed the whole DCEU worse than Marvel did. I always thought Marvel rushed Phase 1 to get to Avengers (Phase 2 and 3 have been better) but at least each character got one movie before the big team up, and in the case of Iron Man he got two. Going from one Man of Steel movie to Batman vs. Superman was always going to be a problem. Then adding WW and the others made it an even bigger fuck up. I blame Snyder for a lot but this here isn't even his fault because I don't think even the greatest director could have turned BvS into a great movie using this rushed and convoluted formula. Then they kill off Superman in his second appearance... it isn't earned at all. This is mostly WB fault, Snyder makes it worse but nothing was going to save it from being a critical and B.O. failure.

Still haven't finished this.

almost three and a half years!

idk, that whole reveal ended up being cooler than the film

In my opinion the whole Africa incident was completely superflous. It didn't make any sense to begin with. Didn't anybody examine the corpses and find all the bullets in them? Also why did Lex have to stage to whole thing for a commitee to exist? Superman's fight with Zod had killed thousands of people in MoS, which was shown in BvS again, and which is the main cause for Batman's hate for Superman as well as Wally's (that guy in the wheelchair if you don't remember). Why not just make the hearings about that instead of the unnecessary and boring Africa thing? It fits perfectly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uMONOEMcrI It would have made for a much more consistent and shorter film. Lex still could've blown up everything and planned everything as he did. Maybe the writers just needed an excuse for Lois Lane to be in the movie.

Because for some reason, international conflict was deemed necessary for the plot.

Same problem I had with Civil War, it could've picked up right after the incident at Sokovia which was caused by Tony's creation. Apparently there was need to tie up Crossbone's plot, introduce Wakanda, Redwing, and cause Scarlet Witch's guilt trip in same sequence.

International conflict is important because he's not just Superman for USA, he is Superman for the whole world. Same goes for Mexico scene etc.

Or you can just make up your own sentence or two? Quoting what I posted immediately after the original post is a bit silly don't you think.

It encouragess laziness and doesn't provide anything to what's been already said. It was a statement, no need to give it a color, or emotion. Anyway, Bill Burr talks about BvS in the second half:

https://youtu.be/M6rK61Y6gW4