Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) DEUX YOU BLEED?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DoubleD wrote:I keep seeing people use the word faults, but I can't think of any.
Flawless masterpiece confirmed

Poor Ben-Ben.

:lol:

BvS - The IMAX Experience in 70mm Film - Theatrical Cut - Round 2.

Let's break this down. First off - rating's now 7/10 mixed-positive (would appreciate if you could update the meter with that Virgo) and will probably stay here. This is likely my last viewing for me until the Ultimate Cut when this lands on home media. Secondly - atmosphere tonight at the sold-out BFI IMAX midnight show was electric at the start and for around 2/3 of the film (far better than premiere crowd but that was some press, bunch of YouTubers, and some celeb folk) but you could feel the deflation at a certain stretch in the film. More on that later.

I will try to be as spoiler-free as possible with this - no major plot points but some mild structuring spoilers.

First off - overall this film does somewhat suffer from being cut down to almost its bare minimum in this version. Snyder seemed to admit as much in recent interviews about the 3-hour UC. I'd guess that'd be a reason for a lot of quick glimpse and as we get more of the characters, we smash to black then move on to another scene....then another...then another.

Act 1/2A - the first hour or so of the film is far and away the best part of this. Excellent introductions and build ups with fantastically standout sequences - personal favourites being the "Must There Be A Superman" montage and the Capitol hearing. While almost paradoxically being the part that suffers the most from the 'bare minimum' issue. I can imagine the Ultimate Cut turning this early part of the film into absolute perfection.

Then as tensions rise and we are about to get to the titular....everything screeches to a halt at the worst possible time with
"Next Time on the DCEU" and the sudden focus on the scout ship/Doomsday formation surges
. Hell, even the
Bruce opening the file to see the WW photo works surprisingly well, add onto that a short snippet of Diana getting his email on her phone and don't have her look through the JL files and boom - job done. At this point, including the Knightmare/Flash, you've teased just enough on the solo films and JL.
That really hobbles the film going in the titular fight, which is apart from that pretty great, then we get the whole 'bare minimum' trimming again with the
denouement of the fight, not letting that emotional connection solidify - snap, we're off to rescue Supes' Martha
, then after, that whole stretch of the film right up to the full IMAX epilogue, while not feeling far as relentlessly rushed and cut to bare minimum, is not only quite exhausting to watch, no matter how great it is to see the Trinity in action, but....basically to borrow a Twitter friend's analogy, is throwing that delicious plate of pasta against the wall. Thankfully the epilogue really picks it up again, despite feeling a bit too long (although that may be due to the previous stretch of film preceding it.

So here's the thing with the Ultimate Cut - while it will get that first hour to perfection, I really don't think it'll fix issues that end up appearing later on. Which is a real shame as it seems so easy to do, right? I guess I can live with that Trinity
plus goddamn Lois
fight....

Anyway 70mm IMAX - again absolutely gorgeous full screen sequences and cinematography in general. That thing I really can't fault. And that opening titles/MoS flashback prologue two punch is quite frankly perfection.

So....until the Ultimate Cut, BvS. You've been visually stunning, problematic, flawed, enjoyable, epic and exhausting so far.

P.S. went with a few close friends this time - all came away really liking it despite a couple being immediately aware of some of the flaws and just problematic moments in later parts of the film. Was first time IMAX experience for a couple of them too, they were blown away by it all.

P.P.S. by the bouncy ball of Lex Luthor - this film does not, I repeat DOES NOT deserve that RT rating. I would've been perfectly okay with same RT score as MoS, come the hell on.
Last edited by antovolk on March 25th, 2016, 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

darthnazgul wrote:

Poor Ben-Ben.
Lol does anyone else hate these types of ****ing questions? It is just one of those questions that is just awkward to ask, puts the people answering it in a awkward position, Plus what exactly did they hope to learn from asking that question lol?

Forum Pro
Law
Just got back, I'll start of by saying I loved Man of Steel.

That being said, Batman V Superman is a complete clusterfuck. There was a time towards the end where I actually turned to the person I was with and asked if they wanted to leave. I couldn't sit through another second of this mess, but I mustered up the strength to do so. All for that cliche, overdone ending. This movie was like 3 or 4 different movies in one. All the Gotham/Batman/Alfred scenes were well done, a little fast, but well done. The Superman/Clark/Lois scenes were cringeworthy, Cavill is a fuckin terrible actor (he wasn't this bad in MoS), Adams is too old to play a young vibrant reporter, Clark Kent is non existent in this movie, as a director I would have just cut all of his scenes. Lex Luthor/Jesse Eisenberg is 100% cringe, kid almost ruined the movie for me, Wonder Woman saved it, along with Batman. Those two were the absolute highlights of the film. Doomsday was basically Abomination for Incredible Hulk, what a fuckin waste.

I highly urge everyone not to see this, as I plan on never seeing it again.. well maybe i'll buy the extended cut and fast forward to all the Batman scenes, fight and Wonder Woman scenes.

Oh and that big fight between Batman V Superman, you know, the title, was MEH.

I really liked the movie, but...
- The score isn't that epic. Basically the same thing from Man of Steel
- Too many dream sequences
- The third act was rushed
- The so expected fight scene was too short
- The Flash/Aquaman footage was too much
- The Kevin Costner scene was also too much

And WTF that Inception dream sequence? Who the hell is that? Robin? I was like WTF?!

atilasantos wrote:I really liked the movie, but...
- The score isn't that epic. Basically the same thing from Man of Steel
- Too many dream sequences
- The third act was rushed
- The so expected fight scene was too short
- The Flash/Aquaman footage was too much
- The Kevin Costner scene was also too much

And WTF that Inception dream sequence? Who the hell is that? Robin? I was like WTF?!
It was so out of place aswell

Law wrote:Just got back, I'll start of by saying I loved Man of Steel.

That being said, Batman V Superman is a complete clusterfuck. There was a time towards the end where I actually turned to the person I was with and asked if they wanted to leave. I couldn't sit through another second of this mess, but I mustered up the strength to do so. All for that cliche, overdone ending. This movie was like 3 or 4 different movies in one. All the Gotham/Batman/Alfred scenes were well done, a little fast, but well done. The Superman/Clark/Lois scenes were cringeworthy, Cavill is a fuckin terrible actor (he wasn't this bad in MoS), Adams is too old to play a young vibrant reporter, Clark Kent is non existent in this movie, as a director I would have just cut all of his scenes. Lex Luthor/Jesse Eisenberg is 100% cringe, kid almost ruined the movie for me, Wonder Woman saved it, along with Batman. Those two were the absolute highlights of the film. Doomsday was basically Abomination for Incredible Hulk, what a fuckin waste.

I highly urge everyone not to see this, as I plan on never seeing it again.. well maybe i'll buy the extended cut and fast forward to all the Batman scenes, fight and Wonder Woman scenes.

Oh and that big fight between Batman V Superman, you know, the title, was MEH.
My exact thoughts.I was witj 4 if my good friends and we all hated the movie.We were so excited but it was just a mess!

I really liked it to be honest. Not perfect. The middle part is kind of disjointed and a little all over the place, but everything from the actual Batman v Superman fight onward is perfect in my opinion. This movie does not deserve a 31% on Rotten Tomatoes. I would say it deserves to be in the 50-65% range. Yes they're are problems, but nothing that makes the film terrible.

BATFLECK BATFLECK BATFLECK!!!!!!
Cavill did an even better job this go around as Superman
Wonder Woman's action scene was kick ass
Hell, I even liked Eisenberg's performance.
The scene on the rooftop is when he is definitely at his best with one perfect music queue when he steps into the helicopter
I do think they could of eliminated almost every easter egg about the JL. They should of just shown the logos on the computer and that's it. Of course keep Wonder Woman in there because she actually did not feel forced in. I kind of was okay with Batman straight up killing henchmen during the chase sequences. And the scene when Superman sacrifices himself was handled very well.
There was also a PERFECT set up for Aquaman that they completely missed! When Lois throws the spear into the water you could of had Aquaman come in!
Barely a 4/5
Last edited by xWhereAmI? on March 25th, 2016, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.