Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) DEUX YOU BLEED?

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
Dobson wrote:Imho they should have made a new Batfleck movie first, then follow up with Man of Steel and then made a proper BvS movie where there'd be no need to concentrate on Batmans past, because we'd already know it. Thus, BvS wouldn't be a Batman-turned-Superman-movie like it now is. They could put more effort in the Superman part and the overall storyline.
Launching your DC universe with a new Batman after The Dark Knight Rises wouldn't have been such a great idea either.

Dobson wrote:Imho they should have made a new Batfleck movie first, then follow up with Man of Steel and then made a proper BvS movie where there'd be no need to concentrate on Batmans past, because we'd already know it. Thus, BvS wouldn't be a Batman-turned-Superman-movie like it now is. They could put more effort in the Superman part and the overall storyline.
While I feel like this could be the case, they'd still focus on Batman because he's the big money maker, not Superman.

RIFA wrote: Launching your DC universe with a new Batman after The Dark Knight Rises wouldn't have been such a great idea either.
True. Maybe do Wonder Woman after MoS, & then the new Batfleck. Followed by DoJ.

Superman could even cameo in WW.

Those Nolanites were angry because they wanted Rises to have a better tomatometer than The Avengers and it was falling short. They failed to realise how misleading tomatometer is when it comes to critical approval.

At the end Rises ended up with a considerably better metascore (A far better measurement than the flawed system of RT) and 18 more mentions in critics year end top ten lists. Not that any of it really matters, just to point out how ridiculously idiotic those people were.£

RIFA wrote:Yes. And that's why I said earlier that there might be an agenda here.

Marvel movies do get tons of passes. And DC movies are seen by a lot of the critics as "WB trying to pull a Marvel" which is not fair at all. This leads to a lot of backwards thinking. Not only that but right now, BvS is rated lower than MoS and lower than the worst Marvel movies. How is this possible when even the bad reviews mention that this is still better than MoS? And how can this movie be worse than Iron Man 2 or the first Thor?

There is an ongoing DC hate. And it's been like this since WB announced that they are going to build up their own DC Comics film universe before MoS came out.
Enough with the conspiracy theories, you haven't even seen the film yet in reference to your Iron Man 2 and Thor comment.

And plenty of critics are saying this is worse than Man of Steel, you're being delusional. Snyder is just a hack.

Something I noticed and posted on a review on YouTube:
I love Marvel films like crazy and own basically all of them, but I feel like when Civil War comes out (which I think looks FANTASTIC) it will get an easier "pass" from critics because they will be seeing something they are used to seeing. Another Marvel episode in their series. DC films seem to get analyzed super hard from critics and fans alike. It seems like people are forgetting these movies from DC are trying to be the same thing Marvel goes for which is to be a Summer Action Popcorn Film. Let's not forget that folks. Something in me just does not understand the reason why the DC films gather reactions like this on a more hardened level than what a Marvel film gets. Well, those are my two cents on the properties and their films.
And it is surprising how they mostly say it's an improvement over MoS, so shouldn't that mean a better score than MoS??? I also don't get how this can be worse than THOR 2, which I think is one of the worst comic book films I've ever seen, but it was Marvel so it has over a 70% on RT from critics. Same with IM2. Yes, I haven't seen the film yet, but a buddy of mine who has literally the same taste as me loved it and I'm pretty sure I'll like it as well.

Master Virgo wrote:Those Nolanites were angry because they wanted Rises to have a better tomatometer than The Avengers and it was falling short. They failed to realise how misleading tomatometer is when it comes to critical approval.

At the end Rises ended up with a considerably better metascore (A far better measurement than the flawed system of RT) and 18 more mentions in critics year end top ten lists. Not that any of it really matters, just to point out how ridiculously idiotic those people were.£
While I believe that all these aggregator websites are far from ideal, RT's tomatometer is still the most accurate mostly because of its simplicity. In fact, a case could be made that Metacritic's is the most flawed particularly because the reviews are weighted and their editors assign ratings to reviews where there are none.

Still, the average ratings and end-of-year lists prove that critics may have been more passionate about TDKR.
Last edited by MeLVaNoaTe on March 23rd, 2016, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIFA wrote: Launching your DC universe with a new Batman after The Dark Knight Rises wouldn't have been such a great idea either.
On the other hand, an Affleck-directed Batman movie with him as Batman would probably still be a better start than MoS and would leave better possibilities for the later development of the DCU, as well as offer explanations for Batman's current state (Robin gets killed etc). While the movie would constantly be compared to the TDK trilogy, they would likely get away with it because it'd offer a different take on Batman.
Last edited by Dobson on March 23rd, 2016, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIFA wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
lmao, he gave it a C+ and called it a mess.
lmao this guy never steps out of critics general consensus...

he just said everything everyone else said before him

he does this all the time

it's like he collects every piece of info he can find, then adds his personal attachment to the film, and from there he weighs on the final score
xWhereAmI? wrote:I was wondering if Marvel films get a pass from critics easier than the DC films. Some of the negative reviews mention how they are basically bored of the superhero genre
Yes. And that's why I said earlier that there might be an agenda here.

Marvel movies do get tons of passes. And DC movies are seen by a lot of the critics as "WB trying to pull a Marvel" which is not fair at all. This leads to a lot of backwards thinking. Not only that but right now, BvS is rated lower than MoS and lower than the worst Marvel movies. How is this possible when even the bad reviews mention that this is still better than MoS? And how can this movie be worse than Iron Man 2 or the first Thor?

There is an ongoing DC hate. And it's been like this since WB announced that they are going to build up their own DC Comics film universe before MoS came out.
"Ongoing DC hate" and "it's been happening since they announced they're building up their own DC comics universe" just doesn't add up.

They've released two movies so far in this Universe. And they've both been directed by Zack Snyder. Look, if you liked Man of Steel that's fine, I did too at first. But most people didn't. Why don't you entertain the idea that Zack Snyder just wasn't the right guy for the job of Godfathering the DCCU instead of droning on about this "agenda" critics have against DC?

xWhereAmI? wrote:Something I noticed and posted on a review on YouTube:
I love Marvel films like crazy and own basically all of them, but I feel like when Civil War comes out (which I think looks FANTASTIC) it will get an easier "pass" from critics because they will be seeing something they are used to seeing. Another Marvel episode in their series. DC films seem to get analyzed super hard from critics and fans alike. It seems like people are forgetting these movies from DC are trying to be the same thing Marvel goes for which is to be a Summer Action Popcorn Film. Let's not forget that folks. Something in me just does not understand the reason why the DC films gather reactions like this on a more hardened level than what a Marvel film gets. Well, those are my two cents on the properties and their films.
The difference is, Marvel movies just want to be light entertainment and have a fair amount of jokes in them, while at the same time, MoS and BvS are overly dark and grim, but unlike Nolan's TDK trilogy, haven't anything profound to say. There's just this discrepancy between the stories told (it's Superman!) and their presentation. It's overly serious and wannabe art, while it really isn't.